PDA

View Full Version : better DWF viewers???

MABANILLA
2009-06-20, 05:51 AM
I am new to REVIT, so I hope some of you experienced folks out there who have used different viewers can give me your opinion on what the better viewers out there are for viewing DWF files.

I know there are a couple that can be downloaded from Autodesk's website, but between those and anything else out there, which ones do you think are better and easier to mark up if you need to open a file but don't have REVIT installed on that computer???

Thanks in advance!

trombe
2009-06-20, 12:12 PM
mabanilla,

welcome to the AUGI Revit forums.
If you do a search you will turn up lots of discussion about Design Review/dwfx files.
Also have you checked out the design review forum ?
Have you read the FAQ for Design Review ? or what about the viewer itself...its free........
I have not used Trueview so cannot comment on that, but it is a larger program whereas DR is about 40 Mb.

I use DR on every job now and find it fine, most clients are OK, some need a little help but 5-10 minutes and they are fine. If you do some homework from the DR web site and forums you will soon see that it lacks a few things like being able to run animations exported from Revit, some people get disoriented and find walking through walls, doors etc quite disconcerting ( I don't) and materials are not yet implemented but that does not stop a useful model being used for examination.
I find the redline markup suitable for my needs and it has also worked for a project between (english speaking) countries, so that has to be an endorsement overall I guess.

The file sizes are small relatively speaking.
If you or your client has Vista, exporting a dwfx format out of Revit allows the file to be opened in Vista without the need for the viewer at all.
I have not heard of any other viewers that handle dwf and dwfx formats in the way DR and TrueView can.

trombe

Scott D Davis
2009-06-20, 05:31 PM
In Windows Vista, opening a DWFx with no viewer installed will open the DWFx in Windows Explorer and will add tabs for markups and other controls to be the same as Design Review.

MABANILLA
2009-06-23, 01:11 AM
Thanks! I'll check those out. I reallty needed a little direction to start, so I apprecuiate the help. (=