PDA

View Full Version : Revit 2010 to Max- Material Map sizes?

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-20, 05:47 PM
Silly question, but im sure im doing something wrong.

At the behest of users here, i have Exported the Revit 2010 model im trying to render to Max. Exported through FBX, imported in to a new scene.

When i render it though, the brick material is HUGE. The bricks are easily 10 times the size theyre supposed to be.

Ive tried both feet and inches as the Units when importing the FBX.

We dont really have to remap all of the MR materials in Max, do we? Please tell me im doing something wrong...

rmejia
2009-06-20, 06:40 PM
Works for me. Make sure in Max that you have the "Units Setup" system unit scale set to inches. Attached is an image of this setting, a Revit render and a Max render from the imported FBX file:

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-20, 07:39 PM
Strange... What settings did you use importing the FBX? Ive tried manual, with units set to both feet and inches, and ive tried the Revit preset. None seemed to fix the issue...

rmejia
2009-06-21, 01:11 AM
I used the default Max settings to import an FBX. From what I remember I think it has two options, a Revit preset and a Autodesk Media preset, but I didn't touch anything there. I think the export setting in Revit is set to inches. I'll check tomorrow to see if there are any other settings. Another thing to check is if the models are coming in at the correct scale, if the walls for example are coming in at the proper size. If they are.... it's strange that the maps are not.

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-21, 03:27 AM
I used the default Max settings to import an FBX. From what I remember I think it has two options, a Revit preset and a Autodesk Media preset, but I didn't touch anything there. I think the export setting in Revit is set to inches. I'll check tomorrow to see if there are any other settings. Another thing to check is if the models are coming in at the correct scale, if the walls for example are coming in at the proper size. If they are.... it's strange that the maps are not.

Well the first time i did the import i set the units to inches... And a 10 foot door read "120.00" which seemed to make sense.

Then i tried it at feel, but the map was still gigantic. The third time i set the preset to "Autodesk Revit" instead of setting the units and whatnot myself, but ive been having other unrelated problems so i cant get it to render since then, lol...

rmejia
2009-06-21, 03:19 PM
Here are my import settings for the FBX, the Revit file and the Max file with the fbx imported. Why must the FBX files be so huge :roll:, here is a link to the exported Revit fbx file (48.7mb) I used to import into Max:
FBX link (http://files.getdropbox.com/u/93640/Forums/Revit/fbx.zip)

ws
2009-06-21, 04:57 PM
FWIW I have just done my first export of a Revit 2010 model via fbx into 3ds Max Design 2010 and left everything at defaults and my custom textures all came in perfect size.

I use Metric settings in Revit but have not touched the defaults in Max as far as I know.

(I was less impressed to find out that I had to fork out for an RPC plug-in to be able to see my Revit rpc trees in 3ds MaxD 2010)

3D Connexions Space Explorer 'mouse' works brilliantly in 3ds MaxD 2010 though :)

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-21, 07:29 PM
FWIW I have just done my first export of a Revit 2010 model via fbx into 3ds Max Design 2010 and left everything at defaults and my custom textures all came in perfect size.

I use Metric settings in Revit but have not touched the defaults in Max as far as I know.

(I was less impressed to find out that I had to fork out for an RPC plug-in to be able to see my Revit rpc trees in 3ds MaxD 2010)

3D Connexions Space Explorer 'mouse' works brilliantly in 3ds MaxD 2010 though :)

Hmmm... Im going from RAC 2010 to Max Design 2009... But i refuse to believe thats the problem, LOL...

ws
2009-06-21, 08:24 PM
Well, strangely enough, it would seem that IS the problem.

I've just imported the Revit 2010 fbx file into 3ds Max Design 2009 and my custom textures are huge - just like you describe.

The texture is of random stone walling and the individual stones are enormous.

The same file imported into 3ds Max Design 2010 works perfectly.

No idea why this is though.

Mike Sealander
2009-06-21, 08:29 PM
I think it's something funny that you can fix in the material/map browser in Max

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-21, 08:45 PM
Well, strangely enough, it would seem that IS the problem.

I've just imported the Revit 2010 fbx file into 3ds Max Design 2009 and my custom textures are huge - just like you describe.

The texture is of random stone walling and the individual stones are enormous.

The same file imported into 3ds Max Design 2010 works perfectly.

No idea why this is though.

Its not even a custom texture. Its an OOTB Revit MR Brick material. It comes in gigantically, lol.

Ooookay, we will have ti install Mac Design 2010...

rmejia
2009-06-22, 12:50 PM
Ah, so it's a Max 2009 thing. Another thing to try would be exporting as .dwg, although it loses some of the Revit info. I use .dwg because of the file link feature, but any material with maps comes in with weird names "RevitMaterialDefinition######"

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-25, 09:07 PM
Confirmed, by the way. I installed Max Design 2010 and imported the exact same FBX in to a new file, and all is right with the world.

Something mustve changed in either the FBX definition of the FBX interpretation...