PDA

View Full Version : View Range Tip: Walls less then 6’-0”

Scott Hopkins
2003-09-03, 06:24 PM
One tricky thing about Revit is that it will automatically represent all walls less than 6’-0” (1.83 meters) as not cut (shown from above) in floor plan views. Inevitably you will come across an instance where for clarity or representational reasons you will want to show a wall less than 6’-0" as cut. You can try adjusting the cut plane and view range all you want but Revit will still represent all walls under 6’-0” as not cut.

There is however a trick to get around this. If for example you are drawing a wall on level one, set the wall top constraint to “Explicit” and then set the unconnected height to any number above 6’-0”. Then set the top constraint of the wall to level 2. The explicit height of the wall will now be shown in light gray and no longer editable. Then set the “Top offset” to a negative number that sets the wall at its proper height. The wall, even if it is only 6 inches high, will always be shown as cut.

Steve_Stafford
2003-09-03, 08:51 PM
You only need to constrain the top to the level above (assuming it is more than 6'-0" higher) then use the top offset value to reposition the top of the wall.

sbrown
2003-09-03, 09:54 PM
Great tip, I dealt with this today by painting the wall and that worked too, it didn't mess up elevations or sections but did fix my plan rep.

PeterJ
2003-09-04, 08:00 AM
Painting is handy with a solid wall, a compound doesn't work so well as you spend time playing with filled regios to represent the various elements.

Scott Hopkins
2005-05-01, 10:11 PM
This trick no longer works in Revit 8. Has anyone found a way around this other than a filled region or painting the wall? Moderators, this tip should probably be removed from the FAQ section.

Joef
2005-05-01, 11:23 PM
If you draw your wall at anything explicit over 6'-0" then use edit profile to lower it, the wall will show as cut. I think you have to actually draw a new line to represent the top of the wall, not just drag the existing one down. I tried this out and had some success but haven't thoroughly tested it at all heights.

Joe

beegee
2005-05-02, 01:10 AM
In 8.0, plan regions work to show low walls cut.

Joef
2005-05-02, 01:45 AM
How does it work? If your cut plane is at 4'-0" and your wall is 5'-0" high will it show the wall as cut? If Revit doesn't cut a wall lower than 6'0" where do you locate your cut plane in the plan region? I'm confused. :?:

beegee
2005-05-02, 04:01 AM
Like this.

Joef
2005-05-02, 05:04 AM
Thanks Beegee, that is a very good bit of information. How do you know all this stuff anyway? ;)

Joe

k.armstrong
2005-05-03, 07:50 AM
Thanks Beegee, that is a very good bit of information. How do you know all this stuff anyway? ;)

Joe

Beegee spends his public holidays (you call them bank holidays in US i think) on revit

haven't you got kids Beegee?

do you need to do the -ve top offset thingy?
can't you just make wall 1000mm high and then use plan region?
Ken

beegee
2005-05-03, 09:23 PM
You do have to do the top offsetty thing or it don't work. :???: