PDA

View Full Version : Levels in 7.0 -2d vs 3d

sbrown
2004-11-02, 04:12 PM
I'm having a hard time getting my levels to behave like I expect them too. What exactly does the 2d vs 3d toggle do. When I create new levels, they no longer automatically snap in alignment to existing levels. I checked the help docs and didn't find anything new on the levels.

Scott D Davis
2004-11-02, 05:28 PM
Look up "Datum Extents and Visibility" in Help: (here's part of it:)

You can change the extents of reference planes, grids, and levels either in one view or in multiple views in which the datum is visible. You can also change one datum in one view and then propagate that change to any desired parallel views in which the datum is visible.

Datum Extent Controls

Select a datum and it is selected in all views in which it is visible. Notice that there is a control titled 3D that displays at the ends of the datum. With the 3D designation, the datum is in model extent mode. This means that if you drag the control to resize the datum extent, it changes the extent of that datum in all other parallel views, provided those datums also have the 3D model extent control.

Model extent control

mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesAutodesk%20Revit%207.0ProgramRevitENU.CHM::/BSD/Revit7/English/PNG/datumextcntrl3D.png

Click the 3D control; it changes to display 2D. The control also changes from an open circle to a filled circle. This means the datum is in view specific mode. If you resize the datum the change occurs in that view only.

View specific extent control

mk:@MSITStore:C:Program%20FilesAutodesk%20Revit%207.0ProgramRevitENU.CHM::/BSD/Revit7/English/PNG/datumextcntrl2D.png

Notice that when you drag the filled circle, the open circle remains. This is showing where the model (3D) extent is. If you want to return to that extent, right-click on the datum and click Reset to 3D Extents.

sbrown
2004-11-02, 05:38 PM
Thats what I thought, but in some views the levels just aren't even showing up? Its a brand new level in a new project so I can't figure it out. Thanks.

Yman
2004-11-02, 09:00 PM
Yeah, this is a little trickier than I thought it would be. I have to explore this one some more.

Y

Chad Smith
2004-11-02, 09:24 PM
... but in some views the levels just aren't even showing up?
I'm having similar problems, but my existing levels aren't showing in sections, but new ones are. I just can't figure it out why some do and the others don't. And they haven't been hidden using the 'Hide Annotation in View' command.

aggockel50321
2004-11-02, 11:37 PM
I opened a 6.x project that had a site plan imported.

In 6.1, when I go to an elevation view, the levels & ref planes extend to the imported site plan's extents. When the imported site plan is turned off, they revert back to the geometry shown in the view.

In 7.0, they don't seem to revert back, and are difficult to drag back to their original position.

Steve_Stafford
2004-11-03, 07:50 AM
Part of what is confusing about this regarding levels is that the right end (with head) of a level in an elevation is the left end (without head) in the opposite elevation. A mirror of the opposing view if you will. If you pull the right ends of levels to be closer to a bldg elevation you end up doing the opposite in the other view.

I like the feature for grids so far but not sure about it for levels yet. I think a 2D default might be better for levels.