PDA

View Full Version : AU Speakers

BomberAIA
2009-06-23, 12:41 PM
In the past years I have submitted multifamily programs to AU. Every year I get the same "Dear John" letter. Every year, I see the same speakers are accepted with multiple programs. I have attended for 3 years in a row and found that the same subjects are covered over and over at an beginner level. I will not waste my time submitting another program and will not attend since I get more help from this forum. And it's free.

btrusty
2009-06-23, 01:19 PM
sad, but true

Scott Womack
2009-06-23, 04:43 PM
Did you, or have you in the past attended any of the Unplugged sessions at AU? These are pier to pier, and usually not for the beginner, nor for the faint of heart.

Tyveka
2009-06-23, 04:50 PM
The same thing happened to me.
And I've been a lab assistant to many classes, so they know I'm capable.
I even got turned down for all 5 of the AU unplugged sessions I submitted.

All seven of the people that were going to go to AU this year - well, we cut it out of our budget.

TroyGates
2009-06-23, 04:59 PM
I only attend AU for networking and Autodesk NDA meetings anymore. Not much left to learn from the classes that have been taught 3 - 4 years in a row.

azmz3
2009-06-23, 05:08 PM
I can say that last year was my first year, and there really is no value for someone to go every year. I submitted a class for this one that got declined, oh well i guess.

BomberAIA
2009-06-23, 09:11 PM
I agree, nothing to learn from the classes. I think AutoDesk is trying to sell the program, so they focus on the beginner. I want to know how firms put together similar projects that I work on. Then maybe I may pick up a tip or trick I didn't think of. I blast through multifamily projects since I have gotten the process down over the years.

Scott Womack
2009-06-24, 11:24 AM
I can say that last year was my first year, and there really is no value for someone to go every year.

I guess I'll have to agree to "disagree" on this one. I've been to 13 or 14 AU's. I Always learn something, either an item that I had lost track of, or new uses for items that I had not thought of.

Last year was the first time I had "bothered" to go to any of the "Unplugged" sessions, and I both learned more, and met more advanced users in those three session, than in all of the previous year.

Although I'm an architect, using Revit for 5 years now, I've made it a point to take sessions on Revit Structural, Revit MEP, Ecotect, and Navisworks, in an attempt to better understand the other disciplines, and the anticipated issues related to their using Revit.

Although this may be the 3rd AU I have to miss, this time due to economics, those that "don't see anything to learn" may just not be looking in the right places, or possibly not looking at the larger professional picture.

azmz3
2009-06-24, 02:18 PM
Maybe it was the classes I took that jaded my view of it. Alot of the classes I was in, was going over stuff I already knew of and had been using. plus I took a couple of classes that the bosses wanted me to take, since they werent going. i looked at the unplugged sessions, but didnt get into any while I was there. I would like to go again, but I dont think this is the right year to ask.

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-24, 02:30 PM
I agree with Scott 200%. Last year, i signed up for classes as a fall back, but the majority of my week was based on the unplugged sessions. It was like an "Advanced Revit Users Group Meeting." I dont want to sit in classes that gloss over things and dont get in to the nitty gritty, i want to learn from other like minded individuals who are fully in the trenches dealing with real world problems everyday.

Two years ago was my favorite AU of the ones i had been to, but this last years was the best content knowledge wise, because i kept my head buried with the other users in the Unconferences.

MY biggest wish for AU would be more rooms / more AV equipment / More days of the unconferences. Then we could have longer sessions, have people actually fire up Revit and get some hotness going in there.

Then we could keep arguing about Revit Links, hahahaha....

I wont be making it this year, i dont think, which i am sad about. But it is what it is. :(

truevis
2009-06-24, 05:55 PM
In the past years I have submitted multifamily programs to AU. Every year I get the same "Dear John" letter...
I am feeling similar. Getting shot-down to be a speaker year after year is rather discouraging.

AU Grad School, anyone?

truevis
2009-06-24, 06:04 PM
The letter:

Dear <loser's first name>,

Thank you for your proposal to speak at Autodesk University 2009.

We received an overwhelming response from potential speakers—more than 1600 proposals from over 700 professionals. With only about 550 class slots available, we could not accept everyone’s good ideas. I regret to inform you that your proposal was not chosen for one of this year’s classes.

We used several criteria when choosing speakers and topics. Conference experience, evaluations of presenters from past Autodesk University conferences, and proposed topics were all primary factors. Due to the large number and high quality of proposals we received, we even had to disappoint some speakers with excellent scores from previous AU conferences...

Last year's:

Dear <loser's first name>,

Thank you for your proposal to present a class at Autodesk University 2008—I regret to inform you that your proposal was not among those chosen for this year's curriculum.

We received an overwhelming response from 700 potential speakers; and over 1400 proposals were received this year. With only about 625 class sessions available, we could not accept everyone's great ideas.

We used several criteria in choosing speakers and topics. Conference experience, evaluations of presenters from past Autodesk Universities, and proposed topics were all primary factors. Due to the large number and high quality of proposals, we even had to disappoint some speakers with excellent scores from previous AU conferences...

TroyGates
2009-06-24, 06:17 PM
Get rid of the regular old classes and replace them with the unplugged sessions. If people are still new to Revit and need to know why they need Revit, have a 1-day session on Monday that they can attend. Lets make the rest of the week worth it for the existing Revit users.

priitl22047477
2009-06-25, 11:34 AM
It seems hard for new speakers to join the party as you have no recomedations and high scores from previous years.
My two proposals were also turned down.
I have only attended one AU and watched others on AU online. Sad is if same course is repeated year to year with minor changes.
At least they should give one year between, so others can try.
Sadly I can not attend this year. (as I am not a speaker my company feels that AU online is enough for me).
Main reason for attending is meeting other people like you. And they get smarter and smarter every year :)

Scott Womack
2009-06-25, 11:47 AM
My two proposals were also turned down. I have only attended one AU and watched others on AU online. Sad is if same course is repeated year to year with minor changes. At least they should give one year between, so others can try. Sadly I can not attend this year. (as I am not a speaker my company feels that AU online is enough for me).

I may also not be able for the first time in 10 years to attend, due to the economy. Having been a speaker for 5 years in the distant past, the amount of effort and manhours required to get a course ready for AU, versus the compensation, was IMHO simply not worth it. Teaching one course does not cover your total expenses for the conference. For every course you teach, you'll miss one to two other classes in preparation, required meetings scheduled by the show staff, getting to your class early to ensure your course materials are ready, and accessible to the session's computer, or getting your laptop synced up with the projects, etc.

I did submit and lead an Unplugged discussion last year, which had NO dollar compensation, but did not take alot of effort, and was HUGELY enjoyable. The contacts made during that time have been invaluable during this year since.

Obviously, I don't miss being a speaker, and have not even submitted a proposed topic in years.

There are first time speakers each year. Last year I attended a session by David Baldacchino on advanced family formulas that was fantastic, although I admit his math/ trig got over my head rather quickly.

When you submit a proposed course, you need to be "selling" it as if to the masses, describing it as if it is the greatest thing ever. Good Luck in the future!