PDA

View Full Version : order of design

comical_wenger
2009-06-24, 01:22 AM
Hi guys, I was just wondering if you could tell me the order of design in revit.

How I see it you:

1. open your default template

2. create a building pad

3. start the massing steps on it

is there any more to this? im kind of confussed as to how you start making walls etc and my tutorials are vague in their explandation.

and whats the difference between massing and adding walls etc, which is done first?

cheers

guitarchitect7
2009-06-24, 02:34 AM
Massing is used as a conceptual tool which could be used to create actual components. In my case for example, I already have an exsiting structure to work with so I would by-pass the massing tool and just start inputting walls, roofs, etc.

comical_wenger
2009-06-24, 02:48 AM
when you say existing structure what is that drawn from> what if i already have a design drawn out that I just want to put in the computer rather than design from scratch on the computer? Do I need to start with a building pad or can I just start drawing out references lines (are these grid lines) and make walls?

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-24, 03:17 AM
when you say existing structure what is that drawn from> what if i already have a design drawn out that I just want to put in the computer rather than design from scratch on the computer? Do I need to start with a building pad or can I just start drawing out references lines (are these grid lines) and make walls?

You can just grab the wall tool and start putting in the design, if you want. I use the conceptual massing if i have realyl vague design criterion or form exploration to do. But if i know where im headed, i just start with walls/floors/roofs, etc.

iankids
2009-06-24, 05:28 AM
Hi C_W,

If your budget can accommodate them, I found the video tutorials from CcadClips to be a great help when I was starting out (Still help me now from time to time.)

Otherwise, there are a quite a number of good beginners videos on YouTube etc.

Check out
http://video.google.com.au/videoplay?docid=5947541679242819986&ei=W7hBSo2dO4WewgP-jejGBw&q=revit&hl=en

as a starter.

FWIW I generally start modelling with my walls and then in no particular order would do the windows, doors, roof and floors. For me, unless it is a particularly steep site, the toposurface is a fair way down the track. No logic or reason to this, just habit I guess.

Cheers,

Ian

comical_wenger
2009-06-24, 06:01 AM
ok great, when I start doing walls do I just drag a wall the distance I want or do I set out plan lines first (would these be the guidelines) sort of like in autocad?
cheers

comical_wenger
2009-06-24, 07:01 AM
it seems like orthogonal shapes are easier to do than curvy shapes, is this true and how are curves done?

guitarchitect7
2009-06-24, 01:52 PM
ok great, when I start doing walls do I just drag a wall the distance I want or do I set out plan lines first (would these be the guidelines) sort of like in autocad?
cheers

I will preface this by saying I think the Help menu would be a great start for you right now. It would be able to answer your above question and more.

Yes you can click and drag, click and enter distance, set out grids - click and drag, numerous ways of putting walls in.

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-24, 02:32 PM
Sounds to me like you need to run through the tutorials... But skip the one on Massing and Site, haha...

samov
2009-06-24, 07:46 PM
1. open your default template

2. leave the computer and consult the project documentation

3. while still NOT using the computer, make a physical model out of paper, paperclips, glue, small things around the table.If you have any "real concept" this would be the time to figure it out... When you have all the main "masses" of the project in front of you and most of the early stuff (access, entry, function etc...) figured out TAKE A SMALL BREAK. Eat one cookie or a whole cake, have a cup of tea... think everything over in your head, maybe you missed something.

4. NOW start the massing in Revit, with your physical model next to the keyboard.

If something needs redesigning... go to step 2 and 3.... NEVER directly to 4.

The end... now you have the cad design part figured out.

All that's left to do now is to... "keep learning new things daily", "read books", "live a real life", "learn a programming language" and "try to figure out on your own what to learn next".

:D