PDA

View Full Version : Cannot Link Acad Site Plan

jcoe
2009-06-24, 01:51 PM
I have a site plan from our consultants that I want to link into my Revit model so I can use the grade points to build some topography. However, when I try to link or insert the file, I keep getting the message that Revit cannot link the file because it will create a model that is larger than 2 miles across.

I have taken the Autocad file and removed all objects that I do not need but still keep getting the same message. I have made sure all layers were on/ unfrozen in the CAD file.
I have tried to change the import units - nothing. I have tried all placement options - still nothing.

I have even tried to link this into a blank Revit project, but still get the same message.

Any thoughts.

cliff collins
2009-06-24, 03:20 PM
Revit has a limit of about 2 miles, for the origin.

Try opening the cad file, and moving the origin to a known common point--like
0,0,0 or a convenient corner of a main building that is centered in the site plan.
Once the origin is moved, save the file.

Then LINK it into Revit, into a Site Plan view only.

Use center to center, or origin to origin to locate the cad file.
See where it comes in in relation to Revit's origin ( which in RAC 2010
now has been defined as Project Base Point and Survey Point.
You can find these under Model Categories>Site in Visibility Graphics
for all views.)

There are lots of threads on this forum on how to import a cad survey and create a toposurface--do a search here.

Cheers............

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-24, 03:50 PM
I also find if the CAD file had a bunch of garbage out in outerspace, once you delete it redefine the Drawing Limits in Model Space to just around the outside of the Drawing. That has helped me in the past.

Also, i ALWAYS use CTC. OTO is a mess because it USED to throw stuff out in space in Revit, but it appears in 2010 it wont let you do it anymore (thank God).

jcoe
2009-06-24, 06:30 PM
I think there was something wrong with the original CAD file that was causing the error. I tried all my tricks to reduce file size, change origin....and still had the same results. I then decided to take the AutoCAD information an paste it into a clean AutoCAD file. This did the trick.

tomnewsom
2009-06-25, 09:01 AM
I think there was something wrong with the original CAD file that was causing the error. I tried all my tricks to reduce file size, change origin....and still had the same results. I then decided to take the AutoCAD information an paste it into a clean AutoCAD file. This did the trick.
A common autocad cure-all :)