PDA

View Full Version : Surface Patterns in Nested Families

mmiles
2009-06-24, 06:58 PM
I have a window family into which I have nested an exterior window surround (trim). The nested family has a material parameter to which I have applied a specific material (brick). The material matches my wall material for exterior face. the surround is a generic family (maybe wall based - I cannot recall at the moment).

In the project, I would like to align the patterns (masonry joints) of the brick. But, when I select a line of the surround (nested family) to align with a line on the wall, the entire window family moves - not just the pattern. Is this expected behavior, since it is nested? How can I get the two patterns to align?

thanks.

mthurnauer
2009-06-24, 07:07 PM
I have encountered the same issue, but unfortunately have not found an answer. I have been meaning to experiment with adding a parameter in the family that would allow for adjustment of the hatch. I have a feeling it will not work. I will keep you posted.

mthurnauer
2009-06-24, 07:16 PM
I tried this out and I was not able to control the position of the model pattern, but I was able to position it properly, dimension it and lock the dimensions. When I reloaded the family back into the project, the hatch pattern did adjust correctly.