PDA

View Full Version : Remote access question

peakprecisiondesign
2009-06-25, 04:01 PM
Hi all,
I am currently running Revit on my laptop at home. It is starting to get a bit dated and I honestly don't know how it'll handle 2010. I would prefer a desktop computer for many reasons and would easily make the switch except for the fact that I occasionally meet clients at their homes etc. and haul my laptop to either show them what I can do or make minor changes on the fly.
If I switch to a desktop what would be the best method to access my desktop with a laptop when I go to these meetings? I've heard good and bad about gotomypc and things like that. Thanks in advance for any advise and suggestions.

Cole

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-25, 04:24 PM
The problem with that is you'll always have to rely on your clients network speed, which may not be enough to remotely access your desktop without lags. Then they may think your computer there is too slow and therefore you won't be productive...

There are great laptops that serve as desktop replacements out there.

Andre Carvalho

mmiles
2009-06-25, 04:30 PM
You could also export your model using DWF. then with the DWF viewer (available for freee on the autodesk website) you can view, manipulate your model on the laptop with your client. The program has steering wheels and view cube, and can make section cuts just like when you are in Revit.

This method would forego the need for an internet connection. You could even have the client download the program and use their computer, eliminating the need to carry your laptop.

peakprecisiondesign
2009-06-25, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the replies. I've been a laptop guy for years but I rarely take it out of it's docking station and I can get a LOT more computer for a lot less money (which is a pretty big deal these days).
I use Design Review like crazy. The first email I send to anyone I'm drawing a home for has a link to the free download. There are times where it is nice to make actual changes on the fly but I could probably get away with showing prospective clients dwfs and pdfs.

Decisions...

sfaust
2009-06-25, 05:33 PM
FWIW I have used LogMeIn free edition to log into my work computer and work remotely. It works, but yes there is a lag on our DSL connection. As mentioned, if your client has a slow connection it may not work or may be very slow. Conversely, if they have a fast connection it may work very well...