PDA

View Full Version : Model Groups in Custom Residential

davidcobi
2009-06-25, 05:57 PM
I've always assumed that model groups are better suited to unit plans or other large projects where combinations of families/model lines are duplicated. Has anyone used Model Groups in Custom Residential work and if so for what purpose? Thanks.

guitarchitect7
2009-06-25, 06:52 PM
I rarely use grouping. I will use in-place families in the same function though. Lets say I create custom casework, I'll just create all casework under one family so they are grouped together. There is no real benefit of doing so, but just easy project organization. Of course I don't have to worry about scheduling, otherwise this situation would not work.

davidcobi
2009-06-25, 06:58 PM
I've used Model Groups to relocate an assembly (like a chimney) and I've used them to Group/Link an accessory building, but I immediately remove the Model Group from the project browser once the operation is complete.

guitarchitect7
2009-06-25, 07:21 PM
I did do a group of roofs not too long ago. I had to build a complex roof with various roof components to make one. I grouped them as to not move or modify them on accident. This is the only "model group" I've ever kept to date, but that's not to say there isn't a purpose for it at some point.