PDA

View Full Version : how to create a vertical roof

yanyan77
2009-06-25, 08:21 PM
i need to creat a roof which wrap from the top of buildig to vertical wall.
see attachment, the wall should be the part of roof, so the metal roofing will continue.
does anyone know how to do this?

thanks

iankids
2009-06-25, 08:48 PM
Hi yanyan77,

I would probably look at using a roof by extrusion to get what you are after.

Cheers,

Ian

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-25, 08:53 PM
A roof by extrusion is one way to do what you described in words, but to do what you have pictured i would use a Wall that has an exterior finish the same as the roofs. Attach the base to one roof and attach the top to the other...

yanyan77
2009-06-25, 09:02 PM
now i am using a wall as u said.
but the joint is not right.
that is why i ask to build the roof to one.

extrusion? but the roof is slope too

tomnewsom
2009-06-26, 08:45 AM
If you have all the layers in the wall set up like the layers in the roof, then when you Join Gemoetry, it should all wrap properly...

yanyan77
2009-06-26, 01:15 PM
If you have all the layers in the wall set up like the layers in the roof, then when you Join Gemoetry, it should all wrap properly...
i tried, it does not work.

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-26, 01:36 PM
i tried, it does not work.

Can you copy the roofs and that wall into a blank file, purge it and post it here? let's see what's going on there.

Andre Carvalho

yanyan77
2009-06-26, 02:06 PM
Can you copy the roofs and that wall into a blank file, purge it and post it here? let's see what's going on there.

Andre Carvalho

HERE IT IS
THANKS

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-26, 02:58 PM
See attached.

I had to offset the roof by 1/2" from the edge of the wall, to allow the metal finish to extend and wrap with the metal finish of the roof.

Also, I made a few changes on layer ordering and materials (so the roof metal and the wall metal are the same, thus wrapping properly).

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

yanyan77
2009-06-26, 03:18 PM
See attached.

I had to offset the roof by 1/2" from the edge of the wall, to allow the metal finish to extend and wrap with the metal finish of the roof.

Also, I made a few changes on layer ordering and materials (so the roof metal and the wall metal are the same, thus wrapping properly).

I hope it helps,

Andre Carvalho

thank you.
i have questions:
the wall's texture line is still not parrallel with the roof, even they wrap together.
why can they join in ur file, after u move 2 core boundary in the roof layers?
i did the same thing in my file, but after using join geometry, there still lines on the surface.
and i tried unjoin the geometry in ur file, and join again. i can not get the smooth surface as urs .

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-26, 03:28 PM
thank you.
i have questions:
why u create 2 core boundary in the roof layers?

I haven't. You can't even do it. You can have more than one element in the core, but can't have two cores. Unless you are referring to the layer function numbering? The layer in the core is now set to be 2 (I forgot to change it to back to 3, since the roof insulation is a thermal layer). Anyway, you can change it back to 3 and it will still work as expected.

the wall's texture line is still not parrallel with the roof, even they wrap together

The wall is using a model pattern. That said, you can use TAB to select one of the lines and use the rotate command to rotate it as you want. You may have to define your work plane to be the wall's face before doing that.

Andre Carvalho

yanyan77
2009-06-26, 03:59 PM
Thanks a lot.
but could you tell me the join geomytry question?
I did the same thing in my file, but after using join geometry, there still lines on the surface.
and i tried unjoin the geometry in ur file, and join again,then i can not get the smooth surface as before .

Andre Carvalho
2009-06-26, 04:28 PM
...i tried unjoin the geometry in ur file, and join again,then i can not get the smooth surface as before .

I've used the linework tool (set to invisible lines) to get rid of some lines I didn't want to see.

Andre Carvalho

gubeza
2009-06-26, 07:19 PM
thank you.
i have questions:
the wall's texture line is still not parrallel with the roof, even they wrap together.
why can they join in ur file, after u move 2 core boundary in the roof layers?
i did the same thing in my file, but after using join geometry, there still lines on the surface.
and i tried unjoin the geometry in ur file, and join again. i can not get the smooth surface as urs .

I edited your file taking Andre's model as the example, and moving up the layers, selecting the "Wraps" in the Wall's finsh Metal-Roffing Structure, and after that I oriented the Surface pattern in the roof and the wall and ...Eureka