PDA

View Full Version : Detail components from wall sections to show in details

nicholas.209609
2009-06-25, 10:21 PM
We are using detail components in the wall sections and would like to get that information to transfer over into the detail callouts. The details are coming out very generic - we've taken the time to add information to the wall section and would like to have it replicated in the detail without having to redraw or re-place the detail components. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I've attached an image below showing the wall sections and the callouts that are referenced to it. Hopefully that makes it a little more clear as to what we're trying to accomplish.

greg.mcdowell
2009-06-25, 11:36 PM
No choice, you'll have to copy the information manually between the views. You might try making groups out of the detail components and copying them instead so that changes will show up in both views. There will be a ton of groups to manage but it's either that or you manage the changes in the wall sections manually.

Another approach you should consider is rethinking your documentation approach. If you've got enlarged details do you really need the information in the section as well? The wall sections could be more about relationships between elements and a place to call out details. I agree that we still need a bit more detail than Revit shows by default but I think it can be considerably less than most people are used to.

From your example I don't think a lot of the detail you added is necessary in this view. The walls could be built in Revit to show the layers of construction (looks like insulated block so the core would be insulation-concrete-insulation). The windows could have the detail embedded in the family as could the parapet cap if you used a wall sweep. The batt insulation you'd still need to add manually but do you really need to show the joints between the blocks or that plastic bit that holds the insulation together? After all, they will be there whether you draw it or not and you should know your building courses by looking at the dimensions right?

Anyway, somethings to consider.

To me adding this level of detail in the wall section is more time spent away from my friends and family. I've built enough to know that it's not needed but, as always, your mileage my vary. Good luck with which ever way you go.

dgillespie
2009-06-26, 04:14 PM
You might try making groups out of the detail components and copying them instead so that changes will show up in both views. There will be a ton of groups to manage but it's either that or you manage the changes in the wall sections manually.

I would recommend no detail groups. We've tried using groups this way before and found that certain families will not update for every instance. This results in a "this object will be excluded from the group" message, which completely defeats the purpose. Give it a shot, but beware.

I would agree you need to change your documentation method. Provide minimal infromation in building/wall sections. Possibly tag each assembly in those drawings, and the callouts for the joints would be the only place to put your heavy detail work.

nicholas.209609
2009-06-26, 04:29 PM
Thanks for your response. I agree that typically we would not use this much detail in a wall section and then have it transfer over to a detail but we've decided to do the wall sections at 1"=1'. Our thought process was that this provides a total view of all the assemblies coming together as opposed to isolated instances. We'd reduce the amount of 1 1/2"=1' details and then only use 3"=1' details when absolutely necessary (which would be minimal if the drawings are clear and noted properly).

With that being said - anything other than groups that someone might suggest?

Like I said I appreciate your comments but in the end we are still going to be drawing a couple of items over again which isn't a big deal - just a matter of finding the quickest way possible so we can go spend more time with our families and friends. :)

jarosa
2009-06-26, 10:45 PM
You didn't mention it so ...... you can you copy, paste aligned, same place.