PDA

View Full Version : Revit Measured Drawings / As Builts

ben.115043
2009-06-25, 10:32 PM
I'm about to start working on a project that is a partial residential renovations, where there are no existing drawings. I'd love to model the existing house in Revit instead of doing 2d measured drawings, but I'm up against a process problem.

Our office typically does not model interior finishes. However, when you measure a house, all of your measurements go to finish. So i have three options:

1. Have different sized schematic walls for existing conditions, that I would have to change later if I demo off finishes.

2. Guess the location of the structure and model that.

3. Model existing structure and finishes separately so I can remove them at will.

My problem with option #1 is that if draw the walls using face of finish and then get rid of the finish layer, the whole wall will move and I might not realize it. #2 has obvious problems and #3 is going to take forever. What are people doing in their respective offices?

Thanks

Ben Regnier

Tobie
2009-06-25, 11:39 PM
Hi Ben.
We do a lot of additions and sometimes even work with old stone walls that taper. The way we do it is to place the existing in phase 1 and then your temp dimensions will be to the face of the wall. the new construction will be dimensioned to the structural wall if you have it set up that way. The existig structure will also be grey depending on what you defined the material called "phase existing". you would still have to define the structure to the existing wall.