PDA

View Full Version : Dimensioning Interior Elevations - Angled Walls

sogorman
2009-06-25, 10:52 PM
Is there a way to control the exact rotation of an interior elevation view?

I have a wall at an obscure angle, upon which I would like to place a lateral dimension string, in an interior elevation view. I am not able to manually rotate the interior elevation call out so that the cut plan is perfectly parallel with the wall. Therefore, any dimensions I place in this view are not truly perpendicular to the wall.

I know that I can align a section callout with (or on) a reference plane, drawn at the exact angle of my wall. Is there a similar method for controlling the rotation of an elevation?

greg.mcdowell
2009-06-25, 11:16 PM
When placing elevations they should orient themselves to walls automatically. If you added the wall after the elevation was drawn you'll have to either recreate the elevation or manually rotate it into position. Instead of using the grip use the standard rotate tool and type in the angle you need the elevation rotated.

sogorman
2009-06-26, 02:08 PM
Ah, thank you. Standard rotate will work.

By the way, is there any way to tab through or select which wall I want the elevation to automatically align with? In some cases I have several angled walls in close proximity to each other, and it seems like the elevation tag gets confused as to which one it should pick.

Also, these walls are imported from a linked file. Would that compound the problem?

Thanks again.

greg.mcdowell
2009-06-26, 04:10 PM
I don't think you can tab through to select the wall (though I think that's a good idea). Best I've been able to do is move the symbol really close to the wall I need and then back out the symbol once the elevation is created.

I don't know about the imported file issue. I would guess not but that's just a WAG.