PDA

View Full Version : Element query of host

dmoodydesign
2009-06-26, 11:02 AM
Is there any way that I can query information for a hosted element from the host? To explain, my employer wants to know if a fire door can get the fire rating from the wall it is hosted in. I.E. if the wall has parameter "Fire Rating" can I fill in the door's parameter "Fire Rating" based on the information listed in the hosting wall?

Thanks
David

Scott Womack
2009-06-26, 11:17 AM
Is there any way that I can query information for a hosted element from the host? To explain, my employer wants to know if a fire door can get the fire rating from the wall it is hosted in. I.E. if the wall has parameter "Fire Rating" can I fill in the door's parameter "Fire Rating" based on the information listed in the hosting wall?

David, OOTB Revit, the answer is no. I know this is being done via the custom programming and the API. Not being a programmer, I can't help much beyond that.

Currently, in Revit 2010, I create a view (that does not go on a sheet) and set up a series of filters in that view. Each filter overrides the wall cut material with a solid color material for each fire rating. And an additional one for doors/fire ratings. Then, using that view it is very easy for someone to check all doors in rated walls, and make sure thay are the same color as the rated wall they are in. That is the highest level of Automation I have been able to achieve OOTB.

dmoodydesign
2009-06-26, 11:37 AM
Thanks. We have our template setup just as you described. A seperate view and view template for fire ratings that shows all walls with a rating as red and an associated hatch in the wall. I had a feeling that programming would be required to achieve what I was asking, but I am also not a programmer. My employer would like to have as much automation as possible and I just don't think I (or Revit) can meet ALL his needs. I'm trying to get close though and it's a real challenge...and a bit of fun.