PDA

View Full Version : Label contours in linked topo file

t1.shep
2009-06-28, 09:56 PM
Is there a way to label contours of a linked site/topo file?
If the typical work process has the topo and building project separate then linked, but you're limited as to what you can do with the linked file, that seems like a pretty big issue.

Merlin
2009-06-28, 10:59 PM
Hi,
An interesting point. I guess that it would be expected that you couldn't though. One of the ideas behind linking a file is that it remains one entity and untouchable - there are other reasons as well, of course. But I'd question the merits of having the toposurface in a linked file - I'd have it in the main. However if you're importing a Revit file then label the contours in that file. You have to remember that Revit is a database.
cheers
John Mc

t1.shep
2009-06-28, 11:19 PM
Hi,
An interesting point. I guess that it would be expected that you couldn't though. One of the ideas behind linking a file is that it remains one entity and untouchable - there are other reasons as well, of course. But I'd question the merits of having the toposurface in a linked file - I'd have it in the main. However if you're importing a Revit file then label the contours in that file. You have to remember that Revit is a database.
cheers
John Mc

Most threads that I've seen recommend separating the site file from the building model. First reason being to keep file sizes down. Another reason being that it allows you to build the site at the correct global elevation and orientation. So when you link in the site to the building model and have your levels set so that the main level is at 100', for instance, but the acutal elevation is 4000' it will look appropriate. You can then set your levels, and spot elevations to show the building elevation (100'), or the actual site elevation (4000') And there may be other reasons as well.
Anyway...There are definitely drawbacks to having 2 linked files.
I tried to label the contours in the site file, and relinked, but they still didn't show up. It also appears that all my visibility settings are set to show contour labels...
Any other thoughts?

twiceroadsfool
2009-06-28, 11:34 PM
Yo uneed to do the Labels in the Site Model File, then in the Bldg file: Under VG : RVT Links : the instance of the site file, set it to By Linked View and pick the view in the Site file that has the labels...

t1.shep
2009-06-29, 02:17 AM
Yo uneed to do the Labels in the Site Model File, then in the Bldg file: Under VG : RVT Links : the instance of the site file, set it to By Linked View and pick the view in the Site file that has the labels...
Great! thanks, that did it.
I thought it might be something like that, and I had tried setting it to "by linked view" before, but missed the setting to change which view was referenced.

patricks
2009-06-29, 02:36 PM
I have done several projects now using a separate linked site file. I have found that I can do pretty much everything in the building file, annotation-wise, except for the contour labels. Even your spot elevations can go in the building file.

What I typically do is set up a view called Grading Plan in the site file, and then on my Site Grading plan in the building file, it's set to display the site link by the site's Grading Plan view.

Likewise in the site file, the building link is set to display according to the building's Grading Plan view, and so all my annotations (spot elevations, etc) from that plan show up in the site file. Then I will just place contour labels so as to not interfere with the spot annotations or anything else.