PDA

View Full Version : Dim's on Angles

pwmsmith
2004-11-02, 09:52 PM
Has anyone noticed you can dimension on the angle in 7 or could you do this before but I hadn't noticed till now?

mmolina
2004-11-03, 01:09 AM
Also, why does'nt the pick: Entire wall not work for angled walls.
that tabing thru to get to the corner is time consuming.

beegee
2004-11-03, 01:45 AM
Just to clarify ...

Pat, dimensioning elements at angles is not a new feature.

Mmolina, you can dimension entire angled walls. There are two ways -

1. Select the wall, the temporary dimension appears - Convert it to a permanent dimension.
2. Use the "Entire Wall " dimension button and select the angled wall.

Cheers.

Joef
2004-11-03, 02:39 AM
I have tried using a temp dimensions but they never appear at an angle. I have also tried using the entire wall feature but it doesn't allow the selection of the angled wall. The only way I have ever found to dimension an angled wall is the tab tab tab method.
How do you manage to get a temp dimension at an angle?

pwmsmith
2004-11-03, 03:22 AM
beegee,
How do you convert the temp dim to permenant?

beegee
2004-11-03, 03:31 AM
Click on the dimension symbol below the temporary dimension.

sfaust
2004-11-03, 03:34 AM
are you meaning a radiused wall? Radiused walls will not temp dimension as far as I know. Angled walls will though.

Since 6.1 there has been an blue "dimension looking thing" below temp dimensions. Click it and it will turn the temp dimension into a permanent dimension...

Joef
2004-11-03, 03:49 AM
I can get the temp dimension to work with a solitary angled wall, but once I attach another wall to it the temp dimension is no longer paralell to the angled wall.

mmolina
2004-11-03, 04:28 AM
Beegee,
when's the last time you did a project with 1 wall?
The only way to get the dim. on an angled wall is
to do the TAB TAB TAB thing.

beegee
2004-11-03, 04:34 AM
Like this you mean ?

All done with temporary to permanent dimensions.

Joef
2004-11-03, 05:03 AM
I don't think this represents the dimension problem that most of us encounter. Just take a rectangle and angle one corner. You cannot place a dimension parallel to the angled wall with a temp dimension. Or maybe you can. I would like to know how.

beegee
2004-11-03, 05:57 AM
I don't think this represents the dimension problem that most of us encounter. Just take a rectangle and angle one corner. You cannot place a dimension parallel to the angled wall with a temp dimension. Or maybe you can. I would like to know how.
In that case you would disconnect the two intersecting walls , select the angled walls temporary dimension, convert to permanent, then join back the other two walls, then adjust the dimension's witness lines to the desired intersection point.

I know you're going to say " but that's too many operations ", and you're right. I'm just explaining how it could be done in such a case.

But the easiest , fastest solution in that case is to tab to the wall end points, or intersection or whatever and then dimension. Yep, that involves a degree of tabbing , because Revit doesn't know where to put the dimension line for you.

mmolina
2004-11-03, 04:29 PM
Try drawing a closed box with angled walls and try it.
This is what I get. Unless there's a trick I don't know about.

Joef
2004-11-03, 07:41 PM
Thanks Beegee for the tip on using the temp dimensions for angled walls. By using this method it is possible to dimension to the wall center. I think the tab method only works to the surface.

Joe

juha-pekka.rindell
2004-11-03, 08:19 PM
an other option is to put first a temporary window on angled wall,
then use dim entire wall, edit the dim as you want
and finally remove the window