PDA

View Full Version : Key note file opened twice

violet78
2009-06-30, 05:17 PM
We have had several instances where multiple people have opened the same key note .txt file. Both will make changes, but only one person's changes get saved. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it normal Windows behavior to allow a .txt file to be opened by multiple people? Is there a better option to manage key notes to prevent this?

dgreen.49364
2009-06-30, 05:35 PM
If you and I have the same keynote file open and I make some changes and save it, then you make changes and save it...the changes I just made are gone because your file overwrote mine.

If you have multiple people working on the same Revit project, someone should be the lead...the job captain, so to speak. Maybe the job captain person is responsible for things like making changes to the keynote file?

cliff collins
2009-06-30, 05:48 PM
We have a Keynote file for each project. Only the Project Architect controls
who can edit the text file, obviously in an orderly fashion, one user at a time.

Better yet, we have asked users to develop a list of edits or new entries they need,
and post them via email to the server location where the Keynote file resides.
It should also be set with permission restrictions to Read-only, so that no one accidently edits it incorrectly. Then, when someone tries to open it, it will be read-only and that alerts them that they should not be editing it without permission/consent from the "gate-keeper".

Keynote files are updated as needed--at a minimum once a week, and as often as several
times a day.

The main thing is to have all team members know that control is required
for maintaining/updating the Keynote file, and who/how cahnges are made to it.

Plan your work, and work your plan, someone wisely once said......

cheers......

sfaust
2009-06-30, 09:51 PM
To address this among other problems I wrote a small app to edit the text files. Our office is sharing it for free on our website www.emc2architects.com/revit_tools.html so you are welcome to use that if you like. If everyone it using it you shouldn't have the problem you are talking about, and it will tell you when the file has been updated...

Gadget Man
2009-07-03, 04:06 AM
To address this among other problems I wrote a small app to edit the text files. Our office is sharing it for free on our website www.emc2architects.com/revit_tools.html (http://www.emc2architects.com/revit_tools.html) so you are welcome to use that if you like. If everyone it using it you shouldn't have the problem you are talking about, and it will tell you when the file has been updated...

WoW!!!

Thank you so much for sharing this very useful piece of software!

I will include it as a gift to all my students (with due credits of course) at the end of each intermediate and advanced REVIT course.

sfaust
2009-07-06, 03:46 PM
Sure, and if you ever need to fly me to Australia for tech support I'm willing to go :).