PDA

View Full Version : Saving to server

oliver.p
2009-07-01, 10:01 AM
We are in the process of introducing Revit into our company. So far things are going smoothly and people are happy with the ease of use and saving of time while working.

One thing keeps coming up, though. Up until now (with the old CAD-prg) we've always saved files directly to our fileserver (MS SBS 2003) via our gigabit network. No problems there. But when I now save a rvt-file of about 15MB to the server, it takes 10 to 15 seconds! (Should take less than one!)

Can anyone confirm and/or give me a hint as to why it is so slow?

(And, yes, I've closed all hidden views prior to saving.)

sbrown
2009-07-01, 02:02 PM
It should be that slow. 15-20 second saves in revit are very normal. Just get used to it. When working with a workshared file you will be saving both locally and centrally and it can take up to and in some cases more than a minute to save. Comparing save times in revit to single cad files is not worth doing.

oliver.p
2009-07-02, 08:53 AM
Thing is: saving locally is a lot quicker (about half to a third of the time needed to save to server).

Oh well, I guess we'll have to adopt a workmethod of save local first thing in the morning and then putting it back onto the server in the evening. Or just completely make the switch to central files, even if you are only working with one person on the project.

patricks
2009-07-02, 12:20 PM
In my experience, saving a non-workshared file that is stored on a server takes MUCH longer than STC a workshared file, even when you save your local at the same time.

I have experienced 30-45 second save times over our gigabit network to our Windows Server 2003 machine just in the next room, with files that are under 20MB. Conversely, saving a 40MB workshared file takes maybe 15-20 seconds. My guess is that it's not having to send as much info across the network (only publishing changes and receiving new changes, vs. saving the entire file).