PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Window Family w/ Muntins & Trim

rgecy
2003-09-04, 04:32 AM
I am looking for a Window Family with Muttins and Trim. All I could find on RUGI was with Muttins and no trim. Does anyone have a good family they could post?

Thanks,
Robert

beegee
2003-09-04, 05:00 AM
Have you tried this LINK (http://revit.autodesk.com/library/html/index.html)?

There are a few there I think.

rgecy
2003-09-04, 05:13 AM
Thanks beegee,
I did! I forgot to say I was looking for a Double Hung or Single Hung window family w/ muttins and trim (other than the Anderson 400 series). Any Ideas?

Thanks,
Robert

Yman
2003-09-04, 01:08 PM
Get the window you want then open it as editing the window family itself. Now load a trim family into the window family, basically nesting the family within the window family, and then align and lock to the reference planes so they automatically adjust.

The reason for no trim on the windows is so you can build composite windows and then nest the trim into that window for final product. See attached image. I made this assembly in a couple of minutes for each window and if I modify it then was faster.

Place the text files of the same name as the families in the same folder as the window family. When you go to load into the project select the window (1 click on file) and wait for the catalog area below to fill in. The nested family has 4 different window mfg's sizes that I got from there catalogs.

BTW, I have all the window variations with trim as you see in the ......w-trim family but the catalogs are all pella window sizes.

Any problems or need family examples let me know.

Y

Yman
2003-09-04, 01:13 PM
Here are the families.

Y.

Yman
2003-09-04, 01:14 PM
More family stuff. Is there a maximum of 3 file attachement to post or is it just me.

Y

christopher.zoog51272
2003-09-04, 02:03 PM
More family stuff. Is there a maximum of 3 file attachement to post or is it just me.

Y

Yup, there is a limit to 3 attachments per post, sorry. But ofcourse, I could raise the quota if it makes it easier.

Thanks again for these windows Yman, I've used them everyday for past 2 years, or whenever you first posted them. They have come through for me time and again. :)

christopher.zoog51272
2003-09-04, 02:07 PM
Btw, do you mind posting the template you used for window's "N and F" I've butchered one your of triple unequal width templates to work for similar window assemblies, but I just want to see how you made it.

Yman
2003-09-04, 02:46 PM
Here are windows N and F. I just store them in the project file under an assemblies folder so when they change I open the family, switch windows and then reload into project. Of course, you know the rest, voila!

Also, the template.

Y

Yman
2003-09-04, 02:48 PM
I could do a tutorial on how this all works and how to get the window jambs setback where the mullions come together. I'll work on it. Want a video or written tutorial?

Y

Steve_Stafford
2003-09-04, 03:01 PM
Want a video or written tutorial?

Yes!.....to both...

Yman
2003-09-04, 03:10 PM
Boy, I set myself up for that one :? :shock: Tutorial for both will be coming.

Y.

mlgatzke
2003-09-05, 04:01 AM
I have a series of Marvin Ultimate Double-Hung window files and catalogs. I had to separate them into lites. Let me know and I can email them to you or I'll put them on my FTP server for you.

BTW, I've also got the same in Marvin's Casemaster series.

J-G
2003-09-06, 02:36 AM
Mike,

Is there anyway that I could get a copy of your Marvin Casemaster windows? It was on my to-do list. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Jon

mlgatzke
2003-09-06, 03:32 AM
That's fine, but it's a 3.4MB Zip file and I can't attach it here. How would you like me to send it?

J-G
2003-09-07, 02:54 AM
if you could send it email that would work...I don't know if your mail server has a limitation. That would really be great though. I wish Adesk would encourage manufacturers to provide Revit families themselves...one day I suppose.

Thank you again!

mlgatzke
2003-09-07, 04:45 AM
. . . and your email address would be. . . .

J-G
2003-09-08, 09:41 AM
sorry about that :wink: I assumed that you could reply from the group.

giebeler@-nospam-saxpaxum.com

Thank you agian.

Vincent Valentijn
2003-09-08, 10:05 AM
I wish Adesk would encourage manufacturers to provide Revit families themselves...one day I suppose.

Adesk's trying to get people into commercial family-production.. by saying many manufacturers will be interested to see their products available for Revit.
But I guess Revit's popularity isn't big enough yet to be of much interest for manufacturers... specially since rvt's are very specific while dwf/dwg/3ds is used or compatible with most CAD-sofware. Manufacturers aren't very keen on investing in yet uncertain futures.

mlgatzke
2003-09-08, 10:40 PM
Jon,

I've sent the file. Please let me know if you get it or not.

PeterJ
2003-09-09, 05:54 AM
Vincent

Maybe the answer is to get manufacturers to produce stuff in a more open format from which the relevant software can harvest that which it needs, something like XML data.

This way a window definition might contain everything that Revit required but the autocad user could just grab the 2D representations, another 3d modeller might grab a 3d representation but without parametrics etc. The whole package would then want to be available usiong something like i-drop.

P

mlgatzke
2003-09-10, 05:12 AM
iDrop is XML. I am of the understanding that Autodesk is working on a Revit flavor of iDrop. Once it's a reality, we'll have what you're looking for.

PeterJ
2003-09-10, 07:51 AM
I didn't realise i-drop was xml

I was at a meeting with revit yesterday and we didn't really get as far as roadmapping......so i didn't hear anything about i-drop for revit.

what is the graphisoft/nemetschek format? is that parametric at present?