PDA

View Full Version : Window Parameters?

cadman6735
2009-07-01, 04:10 PM
I have noticed that there is a useless dimension parameter.

When you select the window in side the project there is an instance parameter under Constraints called (Sill Height). This controls the sill height of the window.

Now

If you go to the Type parameters there is another Dimension parameter called (Default Sill Height). This one does nothing that I can tell. Why is it there?

Now

When you edit the window family and go to an elevation view, you can see the dimension called (Default Sill Height) and you can flex this dimesion in the family and it works but again does nothing in the project.

I can't find the Instant Constraint Sill Height parameter anywhere in the family, which leads me to believe that it is a system parameter.

The next issue is:

I set my Instant Sill Height parameter to 4ft then I create similar and place another window and it comes in at 3ft instead of the desired 4ft that I set in the previouse window. It should be an exact copy of the first window but it is not.

I want to set the sill height to 4ft for a certaion window type so that I don't have to keep editing the instant sill height parameter. How would I go about this?

Any ideas?

Thanks

tomnewsom
2009-07-01, 04:41 PM
When you are in 'place a new instance' mode, go into element properties and set the cill height there. Now all new instances will be at that height.

cadman6735
2009-07-01, 05:22 PM
Tom

Thanks for the reply and your comment has put me on the right track to set sill offset by default

But

I am still of the belief that the window parameters are not working correctly.

after using your advise and creating new window types and duplicating family types the parameters still do not work properly. Play around with it and you will see what I mean.

I can get my instant parameter for Sill Hieght to read 4ft and my Type paramter for Default Sill Heith to read 2ft for the same family. The window takes the 4ft measurment and leaves the 2ft measurement to confuse me and who ever else is working in the project and it can bugger up the schedule too, if you choose the wrong paramter unknowingly.

I think there is a bug in the window family.

They need to remove one of the parameters either the type or instance and allow us to deside if we want it to be a type param or an instant param. Because the Instant param for Sill Height is not accessable to edit.

pjohnson.137155
2009-07-02, 12:29 PM
I have to agree that is confusing and really a poor design, either it should just be a type or an instance property not both. I know the default sill height is built into the template and controling the bottom reference plane from the bottom of the wall.

Patrick K Johnson
http://www.cadenhancement.com/2001/01/revit-family-creation.html

pjohnson.137155
2009-07-02, 12:49 PM
I have to agree that is confusing and really a poor design, either it should just be a type or an instance property not both. I know the default sill height is built into the template and controling the bottom reference plane from the bottom of the wall.

Patrick K Johnson
http://www.cadenhancement.com/2001/01/revit-family-creation.html