PDA

View Full Version : Sliver of earth at 2 adjacent pads

patricks
2009-07-02, 03:01 AM
I have 2 pads cutting into a toposurface. The sketch lines are exactly touching, yet I have a sliver of earth that sticks up in between the 2 pads. I know the pads are touching because I picked the edge of one when sketching the other one. Even if I move the sketch line over 0.001 feet it tells me it's overlapping. Yet I still have the sliver. In my building section it looks like a vertical line sticking up above the floor (no actual thickness), and linework won't work on it of course.

Anyone seen this happen?

benmay
2009-07-02, 03:21 AM
Yes, I have seen this quite a few times before. Particularly on complex topos.

If I rememebr correctly I found the only way to fix it was to copy the pads to clipboard, delete from the model, and paste aligned to same place

iankids
2009-07-02, 03:53 AM
Yep, I have had this sort of result on a number of occasions.

In the end, I now do the toposuface site cuts as per Jerry's method in: http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=63962&highlight=toposurface&page=2

Cheers,

Ian

patricks
2009-07-02, 12:30 PM
Yes, I have seen this quite a few times before. Particularly on complex topos.

If I rememebr correctly I found the only way to fix it was to copy the pads to clipboard, delete from the model, and paste aligned to same place

Tried it, didn't work. :(

I'm using pads and sloping pads where I have several ramps and landings connecting 2 buildings of different FF elevations. I have been using a thin pad to represent my vapor barrier on several projects now with pretty good success, but not with varying floor heights like I have now.

I actually have 6 pads in all representing the vapor barrier under the main floor, ramps, landings, a stage platform and 2 stairs, and this one sliver between the bottom of a ramp and a landing is the only place giving me fits.

funkman
2009-07-02, 09:56 PM
Draw a reference plane and pick that reference plane in each pads sketch modes.

patricks
2009-09-15, 02:10 PM
Bringing this up again... having the same problem again, now on an auditorium with a sloped floor. I have 2 sloped sections of floor, with a sloped pad underneath each. At the bottom of each sloped pad I get a sliver of earth between it and the adjacent flat pad.

I tried picking the same reference plane when sketching the adjacent edges of each pad, but the sliver is still there.

*edit* I even tried editing my graded region and placing points equal to the elevation of that edge all along the edge, and the sliver is still there. The sliver seems to be a part of the toposurface created underneath the flat pad adjacent to the lower edge of each sloped pad.