PDA

View Full Version : Wavy Wall

Grumple
2009-07-06, 03:20 PM
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has a method for creating a 'corregated'/wavy wall like those on steel frame warehouses etc...

I've created a line based family which kind of does the job, but the corners don't work.

Is there a way of using vertical sweeps to add the corregated effect?

Any ideas appreciated :)

Andre Carvalho
2009-07-06, 03:45 PM
Yes, you can use vertical wall sweeps do do what you want. Or, you can create an in place void that will create a vertical extrusion and cut your wall (I mean the whole thing as one vertical void extrusion and not multiple voids).

Just pay attention to whether it is necessary or not to model it. Try not to "over modeling" your file if you want have a better performance.

Andre Carvalho

Grumple
2009-07-22, 09:39 AM
Thanks for that Andre...

The void idea could be very useful - especially if I saved it as a family.

I guess the effect of the 'waves' could be achieved using just a surface pattern...

tomnewsom
2009-07-22, 10:15 AM
Thanks for that Andre...

The void idea could be very useful - especially if I saved it as a family.

I guess the effect of the 'waves' could be achieved using just a surface pattern...
I would do it this way, then only show the corrugations in detail views, with detail objects. Just make the wall layer as thick as the maximum thickness of corrugation.

bulletproofdesign
2009-07-22, 10:27 AM
I made a face-based void family to cut out corrugations in roofs and walls. Works fine. Looks amazing in close up high-res renders. DwWF's look real cool.

Down side:
File size becomes larger
Time to redraw on screen takes longer (even with a tiny project)
Trying to work with host elements becomes a nightmare as you tend to select the family, not the host.

Not really worth using, unless you want to impress your local RUG.

Grumple
2009-07-24, 11:28 AM
Thanks for the input guys :)

No idea if I have a RUG near me... I think I'd just sit there dumbfounded anyways!

eviele
2009-07-30, 04:26 PM
I made a face-based void family to cut out corrugations in roofs and walls. Works fine. Looks amazing in close up high-res renders. DwWF's look real cool.

Not really worth using, unless you want to impress your local RUG.

Any chance you could post an image?
I just want to see how cool it looks....

bulletproofdesign
2009-07-30, 08:08 PM
image or dwf?

You may note that this is incomplete. It was an example for a rug presentation

peace

jsteinhauer
2009-07-30, 08:14 PM
I did a vertical void family from a wall a few years ago. See link below.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=84119

RUG? Revit User Group?

Jeff S.

bulletproofdesign
2009-08-04, 09:46 PM
RUG = Revit User Group