PDA

View Full Version : Revit.ini + Keyboard Shortcut Path...

jamesgchambers
2009-07-06, 05:43 PM
Has anyone come accross a way to specify the location of a Keyboard Shortcut file in a place other than the default location?

If possible, we'd like to have the KeyboardShortcuts.txt file on the server and have all computers point to that location...

dmoodydesign
2009-07-06, 06:01 PM
I have modified the Revit.ini, but didn't see that it specified where the shortcuts are at. I don't know if you want to do that anyway. Shortcuts are usually user specific and some users like to add/change them as they see fit. You would essentially be telling them how to do their job at a very intimate level. I know I wouldn't like to be told what keys I can and can't use.

I just made a standard file on the server and copied it over after installing all computers. If they choose to change it, then so be it. Most won't, but there will be a few that want to have more than the OTB settings allow.

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-06, 08:04 PM
I think the closest youll come is writing a utility that simply pulls it down from a network location each time the users log in to the system...

Not sure how that would work with Vista64, when you need admin privileges to touch the contents of the Program Files directory for read/write, if your users arent set up as local admins...

FWIW, id love for them to be standardized across the office. I disagree that its that intimate a level. In the last few years, ive realized how GREAT it is to have basically autonomous workstations with Revit. When i have to go monkey with AutoCAD / ACA / Civil3D where all the machines are different and tweaked, i get heartburn...

need4mospd
2009-07-06, 09:21 PM
FWIW, id love for them to be standardized across the office.

I'd love for them to be standardized as well, as long as they were MY standards.

Touch my shortcuts and die. :)

TroyGates
2009-07-06, 11:09 PM
If you are using Windows Vista (only works in Vista and Win7) you can create a hardlink to a file on the server.

1) In the Revit folder delete the KeyboardShortcuts.txt file.

2) Open a command window and type the following:

mklink /H "C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2009\Program\KeyboardShortcuts.txt" "X:\Server Folder Path\KeyboardShortcuts.txt"

X = mapped drive letter to server
Server Folder Path = path to the folder that contains the file

When any program tries to open KeyboardShortcuts.txt on the local system it will open the one from the network.

To delete the hardlink if you don't want it anymore, just delete the KeyboardShortcuts.txt file from the Revit Program folder.

d.stairmand
2009-07-26, 11:40 PM
Guys
I have a little bat file located on the Server, with a Shortcut to it on everyone's machine in there start up directory. after they log on, it automatically copies the file across. Everybody now has the same shortcuts.

This is what is contained within the bat file:
xcopy "R:\Location\Keyboardshortcuts.txt" "C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2009\Program" /F /R /Y

Scott Womack
2009-07-27, 10:20 AM
Guys
I have a little bat file located on the Server, with a Shortcut to it on everyone's machine in there start up directory. after they log on, it automatically copies the file across. Everybody now has the same shortcuts.

This is what is contained within the bat file:
xcopy "R:\Location\Keyboardshortcuts.txt" "C:\Program Files\Revit Architecture 2009\Program" /F /R /Y

Dwane, Does this work with Vista too?