PDA

View Full Version : Modeling a Three Run Stair

sogorman
2009-07-07, 03:12 PM
I'm trying to model a stairway (and railing) that has three runs, or two landings, between floors. When I draw the stair in sketch mode, I draw the 1st and 3rd stair runs in the same location, or on top of one another, on the floor plan view. Despite the warning I get, saying that lines overlap, the treads & risers arrange themselves correctly. My only problem is that the stringer does not follow the bottom run. It projects horizontally, as shown in the picture. Currently, the railing follows the same path as the stringers, but I hope that will correct it's self once I get the stringer in the right location.

The stair does model it's self correctly if I draw a three run stair in which the 1st and 3rd runs do not overlap. That is, if I draw the stair in an "S" configuration, in sketch mode. However, I can't mirror or rotate the 1st or 3rd runs in sketch mode without an error stating that "Stairs require no more than two boundaries..."

Does anyone know how I can fix the horizontal stringer, or draw the stair so the stringer goes to the correct loction?

cphubb
2009-07-07, 03:16 PM
If you search a bit on these forums you will see many others in the same boat. This is not really possible with a single stair object. You will need at least 1 flight as a seperate stair object. However if the 3rd flight does not overlap the first or second you are fine. We have taken to modeling our 3 run stairs like this using 3 seperate runs for consistancy but 2 will work fine. You will need a floor at the second landing unless you extend the boundary at the top. We usually use a floor