PDA

View Full Version : Dormers: "Eyebrow"

jasonh
2009-07-07, 07:52 PM
I have a project where I need to creat some dormers. The architects in the office refer to them as "Eyebrow" dormers. Simply put, its a vent type dormer that has a curved roof instead of a gable. There are no visible sidewalls, just the end wall with a vent in it. The ends of the curved roof completely join the host roof.

Any suggestions or "Best practices" for creating such a dormer. Currently I have drafted some on the project in elevation views, but it makes me want to vommit using an AutoCAD mindset to make something work.

Thanks,

Jason

bkoster343497
2009-07-07, 08:58 PM
I tried to attached a dormer I did years ago to figure out how to do it but for some reason the manage attachements page will not display. I created the curved dormer with roof by extrution and joined it with the hip roof then cut a hole in the hip roof based on the joined roof intersection.

bkoster343497
2009-07-07, 09:36 PM
Manage Attachments is working again. This is the file I tried to attach to the earlier response.

ws
2009-07-08, 08:29 AM
You are on the right lines but if as I suspect you are wanting a smooth transition from curve of the roof onto the regular roof plane it seems that Revit will not let the roofs join using the Join Roof tool.

By changing the curve in the extruded roof I can make a smoother eyebrow dormer but it will not join with the main roof.
You can just stretch it into the roof until it looks OK from the outside but that gives a problem with the interior as the overlap shows inside.

Join Geometry does work I notice but it still leaves a bit to be cut off the overlap of the extruded dormer roof - which could be done with the Vertical Opening tool.

However, you need to watch how the eyebrow dormer is to be constructed.
Normally there is slope on the top of the 'eyebrow' - i.e. it is not level.
If constructed from slate for example you would need to maintain a pitch to the top of the eyebrow.
I've done this in another 3d cad system by modelling the shape as a solid and then turning it into reference planes for the roof system - not sure if this approach will work in Revit but might be worth a look.

I'll have another think about this later unless someone comes up with the solution in the meantime.

patricks
2009-07-08, 12:55 PM
To make an eyebrow dormer slope along its length, an in-place roof is the way to go. Take a look at the attached file. There are a couple of ways to do it: make an extrusion, then rotate slightly in a side view, or create a blend in elevation. I prefer the latter, because it leaves you with a vertical end face, and you can also attach a wall to it. In either case, use a void to cut out the portion of the dormer below the surface of the main roof.

jasonh
2009-07-14, 01:40 PM
Thank you guys. I figured the extruded roof was the way to start. You guys have given me some ideas on which way to go with it. I will update later on my progress....Thanks again!

mmiles
2009-07-14, 06:13 PM
you could also create a mass family that has the shape you want - which is joined to the adjacent roof - that will enable you to create an independent object (mass) that you can fine tune to blend smoothly with your other roof. Then use the roof by face tool to create a roof with that shape. I believe the attach to roof tool will work as expected with any walls that may join that roof.

simon.gillis
2009-07-15, 08:12 AM
Jason,

I have attached an example I normally use to show different roof conditions to customers, I created the eyebrow using a mass, then used roof by face.

Cheers,

Simon

jasonh
2009-07-17, 05:33 PM
I will try the "Mass" approach. Very interesting. Thank you all!