PDA

View Full Version : Can't create in-place void to cut roof

patricks
2009-07-08, 12:22 PM
I'm trying to use an in-place void to cut a portion of a roof. I created an extrusion in an elevation view that cuts a piece of a roof object. In a 3D view, I can select the roof and the void and it cuts it just fine. But when I finish the family, I get an error saying "Can't regenerate Family Roof Cut. Edit Family to modify it." My only option is to either delete the in-place family, or hit Cancel which takes me back to the family editor.

It seems like a pretty simple thing to me. Why would I be getting this message?

*edit* nevermind, it had something to do with the in-place extrusion being hosted by the wall below I guess. I selected the extrusion, clicked the button to dissociate work plane, and then it worked fine.

bolwazy268859
2012-01-29, 03:38 PM
(revit 2012)

I'm trying to do a similar cutout: between a roof modeled in a project (home>roof>by footprint) and a void form inside an in-place component created in the same file (category: roofs). Everything is pretty straigtworward.
However, the cutout seems to work until I click the "finish model" button. After that the subtraction is filled by the original geometry of the roof.

The only thing that occurs afterwards is that the roof is divided into two parts (one of them being in a shape of the geometry that should be cut out). I can hide that other part (unfortunately not delete it) getting a result looking like the desired effect but not as universal.

I tried dissociating the work plane but unfortunately - no effect. Is there any more "intel" on the topic?

patricks
2012-01-30, 04:06 PM
Can you copy the roof and in-place piece to a blank file and post it here so we can test it?

bolwazy268859
2012-01-30, 05:43 PM
The funny thing is that after copying the roof into a blank file everything works as it should.

So instead of copying the roof, I purged the project of the unnecessary data and uploaded it.

Also, there is a set of screenshots attached with the whole operation.

Right now I'm starting to think that maybe my project or my installation is corrupt. Or both ;]

//EDIT:
I'm writing this as a little lesson for everybody - I truely deserve to be decapitated for all that mess and for taking your time here...

All the problems with the void form not cutting properly the geometry of the original roof were bound to the phasing stages of the roof and the in-place component... They were not equal... Furthermore, the values of phasing parameters in the view properties window obscured the whole situation.

Again, that was my mistake and hopefully someone in the future will not waste two days of his life with such an issue ;]

//facepalms are welcome

patricks
2012-01-31, 02:30 PM
For future reference, use the Vertical Opening tool for that situation. No in-place voids needed.

hulkieshulkies625854
2013-02-26, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the dissociate work plane tip. Had my head rattled with this problem for a while there