PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Revit Model

cbaze
2009-07-08, 07:48 PM
I'm going crazy trying to move the origin of an existing Revit Model. We started the model without worrying about the origin, but now we have CAD files and we need to match the origin of them. I don't want to worry about shared coordinate stuff, I just want 0,0 in the Revit Model to match 0,0 in the CAD file. I've tried "Specify Coordinates at a Point" and "Relocate this Project", but I still cannot get the CAD file to align properly when I import origin to origin.

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-08, 08:59 PM
Learn the Shared Coordinates stuff. Importing a file OTO and having the CAD stuff out in Space, and then modeling over it, is the fast track to a corrupt model that you cant detail and that crashes all the time.

Import it Center to Center, and move the CAD file so its in the correct spot with respect to your Revit model that is built near the Revit origin. Then, use specify coordinates at a point and select the CAD files "origin" to be 0,0...

cbaze
2009-07-09, 02:15 AM
this still is not working... it looks like the only real way to do this is to grab the entire project and use the 'move' command. This all seems way harder than it needs to be

jmedina.224029
2009-07-17, 06:29 PM
Try this... Import the AutoCAD file with the correct coordinates into the Revit Model orgin-to-orgin. When it imports to Revit it should land in the correct spot. Then pick a point and use the Move tool to relocate your Model.

Phil Read
2009-07-17, 07:23 PM
this still is not working... it looks like the only real way to do this is to grab the entire project and use the 'move' command. This all seems way harder than it needs to be

Don't do this. It's Friday and you're about to lose the weekend.

Use Shared Coordinates to specify the origin.

-Phil

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-17, 07:36 PM
Me thinks he lost the weekend.... Since it was last Friday :)

swalton240189
2009-07-29, 03:18 PM
We are working on a project and were given a Revit file with grids for a shared site. 3 other firms are doing other buildings on the site. Unfortunately we started the project before we had the grid file so our origins aren't the same. I would love to use shared coordinates but I think it will make our firm look better if we just fix our origin to align with the grid file and not use

shared coordinates. Fortunately there isn't much annotation done yet but it is a 1,000,000 SF high rise ~17,000 elements.

I don't think it will take a whole weekend but any advice would be helpful.

We're planning to select everything in a 3D view then go to a floor plan and select the grids and move them.

It seems like in 2010 going right to left with a selection window is missing elements. I'm not sure why.

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-29, 03:48 PM
Do you guys have any annotations / pieces of text / detail components / symbols in ANY of the views? You know that they arent going to *move* with you when you do that, right?

swalton240189
2009-07-29, 04:20 PM
Other than room tags there aren't any annotation or detail components.

bkoster343497
2009-07-29, 08:13 PM
To continue the discussion; We have a project that was started by linking an Autocad civil base, I'm assuming was done orgin to orgin. After a day of working on the file lines and arcs started to appear jagged, not straight and moved around based on how close you zoomed in. I had seen this before when a file was being drawing miles from the Revit origin. I linked in a new AutoCAD file that had a circle drawn at 0,0 and noted the model was over 3,000,000 feet from the Revit Orgin. Besided moving the model back closer to the orgin (which we did because the project was only in the massing stage) was there something else that could have been done?

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-29, 08:31 PM
Nope. Files need to stay within a mile of the Revit Origin, or they start to encounter what you saw. Also, when you try to detail in section, the items will all *hop around* as you zoom in click by clikc, making it literally impossible to detail. Then, you will get the "An error has occured drawing the contents of this window, this window shall now be closed," message, and Poof.

AutoCAD files shouldnt be brought in OTO, they should be brought in CTC. Or, they should have massive correction done in AutoCAD first, to place them centrally around the origin. I dont prefer the latter, but others here have had large enough sites that for some reason they had to do it that way.

SWALTON- The rooms and room tags will go with the room bounding elements, so long as you dont have to click DISJOIN to move everything. I have a feeling you will have to though, as selecting EVERY element in a model usually means selecting at least two elements that are constrained to move in different planes. If you use Disjoin, the Room tags AND THE ROOMS will stay behind. Hence: The rooms will then be unbound, and youll have to move them as well. Just giving you a heads up. :)

swalton240189
2009-07-29, 09:11 PM
I thought I could go to a 3D view or roof plan with unlimited view depth and select window right to left to get everything. I'm finding that not to be selecting everything. It is leaving out a lot of elements (walls, floors ceilings) and I'm not sure why. They don't seem to be grouped or part of a design option. I own all the worksets.

Rather than go floor by floor for 40 floor and ceiling plans I'm contemplating linking it into a new revit file at the right location and binding it or importing it as a group. Any thoughts?

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-29, 11:49 PM
I thought I could go to a 3D view or roof plan with unlimited view depth and select window right to left to get everything. I'm finding that not to be selecting everything. It is leaving out a lot of elements (walls, floors ceilings) and I'm not sure why. They don't seem to be grouped or part of a design option. I own all the worksets.

Rather than go floor by floor for 40 floor and ceiling plans I'm contemplating linking it into a new revit file at the right location and binding it or importing it as a group. Any thoughts?

No one View can grab *everything* in a Revit Project, that i know of. Although it shouldnt leave out walls, roofs, and floors unless theyre in a DO, but you said they arent. Maybe its selecting them and not MOVING them, because theyre constrained or tied to something... And you need to hit disjoin?

You can try binding it to a blank model, but i hope you have some serious horsepower in your computer. Ive never been able to bind whole buildings... And youll lose all the drawings.

swalton240189
2009-07-30, 10:45 PM
I tried loading the rvt as a group and after an hour it came in. It was however missing the whole north facade but everything else looked fine. I tried binding the file linked in to a blank model and after 3 hours of thinking my computer crashed. We are going to try shared coordinates for now.