PDA

View Full Version : copying revit files to a remote site

cbaze
2009-07-08, 07:55 PM
I have been trying to transfer revit files from our main office to a job site once a week. It's a big project broken up into about 20 revit files with all relative links. I painstakingly opened each local file and did "save as" with the "Make this a central file after save" box checked. I save all new central files to the c drive, then copied all of them to a jump drive. I then put the files in the same folder on the computer on the site so I would not have to deal with "the central file has been moved" nonsense. We have a slow connection to our main office server at the site, and when I open the new central file it seems that it is trying to open it off of the server for some reason! Opening the model is taking about 2 hours at the site, and it takes only 3 minutes at the main office.

Scott Womack
2009-07-08, 08:30 PM
EVERY time a central file is moved, the drive name changes, or the server name changes, it automatically becomes a local, looking for some central file. Just copy the central file, and when you get it to where you want it transfered to, then use the menu, file open, and select the detach from Central check box. Once you have it open at the remote site, then do a saveas, and set it to be a central there. (If I understood the implied question) Once you copied them from the C-Drive, to a Jump drive, they become locals again automatically.

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-08, 08:55 PM
Everytime i move Revit models from one location to another, i open them wietach From Central, without exception...