PDA

View Full Version : DWF Writer for 64 Bit OS

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-07-09, 07:48 AM
Can anyone comment or has anyone heard of development of a DWF Writer that works for 64 bit operating systems?
Now that we are enjoying Revit 64 running on 64 bit machines we are 'crippled' by the fact that the DWF writer is not available, even running in 32 bit protected mode, to applications other than our loaded Autodesk apps.

Not really a DR question but there is no DWF Writer forum.:beer:

Michael Viscetto
2009-09-10, 07:55 PM
Hello there,
I am running into the same issue.
Revit Architecture 2010 on 64 bit OS.
Crippled is a great word for it.
Does anyone have any light to shine on this?

Thank you
Michael

Mlabell
2009-09-11, 03:35 PM
Dimitri, can you elaborate on your issues with Revit x64 and DWF? What version of Revit are you using? Which version of ADR is being used? What is your OS? One thing I have found is the version of ADR must be the same or newer than Revit. Or else there are definately problems. Currently we are using Revit 2009 (all disciplines), ADR 2010, and Windows XP x64 and are not having any issues with printing 2D and 3D dwf files. The 2D dwf files are also round tripping without any issues. As for 2010 we have only begun to test the program and have not given it the full run through yet.

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-10-08, 08:20 AM
The issue is not with Revit. It is with dwf printer driver for use with apps other than Revit. Design Review is a great tool but the lack of support for printing from other apps in a 64 bit environment makes it a tough sell to replace PDF. Thx for the replies

The Sweg
2010-10-12, 10:28 PM
I just downloaded and installed the 64-bit version of DWF writer from the Autodesk website on a Windows 7 computer. The writer works great from programs like Excel, but when I try to print from Revit Arch 2009, I can't open the created .dwf file. I get an error stating that my version of Design Review doesn't support this file type. ( I have Design Review 2011). Now what!?:cry:

bulletproofdesign
2010-10-13, 09:31 PM
The Sweg,

Are you printing or exporting from Revit 2009?

If you are printing, why are you? If you are exporting, and it is broken, there is a serious problem...

The Sweg
2010-10-14, 11:37 AM
BIMTIM,
I am using the print command and the reason is because before switching from XP to Windows 7, printing has always been the easier and more straight-forward approach. We've been using the 'Publish to 2D DWF' command from the 'File' menu on our Windows 7 machine, because we could not get the DWF Writer to work in the past, and Yes, it works as we want, it is just very awkward and not as straight-forward as the printing dialog, plus the naming convention has no control over it. No matter what we tell it to name the file, it always adds a ton of extraneous **** to the filename, which we have to edit. When I saw that they finally came out with a 64 bit DWF Writer, I was excited to download and give it a try. Unfortunately, it works with every non-Autodesk product only. Hmmmm......

bulletproofdesign
2010-10-14, 07:23 PM
BIMTIM,
I am using the print command and the reason is because before switching from XP to Windows 7, printing has always been the easier and more straight-forward approach. We've been using the 'Publish to 2D DWF' command from the 'File' menu on our Windows 7 machine, because we could not get the DWF Writer to work in the past, and Yes, it works as we want, it is just very awkward and not as straight-forward as the printing dialog, plus the naming convention has no control over it. No matter what we tell it to name the file, it always adds a ton of extraneous **** to the filename, which we have to edit. When I saw that they finally came out with a 64 bit DWF Writer, I was excited to download and give it a try. Unfortunately, it works with every non-Autodesk product only. Hmmmm......

I find the export method as easy as the print method. I do not separate sheets into separate files however so can name the file as I like. I did try to print to individual files with 'automatic short' set for naming convention. and only the sheet numbers were the name. Automatic long seemed to the manually set prefix, view type, number and name. Why don't you use the 'automatic short' and run a batch file to add your preferred prefix?

just an idea ;-)

Here is a sample batch File for renaming. just cut&paste the text below (without the < and >) to notepad and save as rename.bat

<
@echo off
SET /P SN=Input Sheet Prefix:
SET /P PRE=Input File Prefix:
for %%n in (%SN%*.dwf) do move %%n %pre%.%%n
>

You will be prompted twice, first for your sheet prefix (to avoid a double prefix batch file issue) and second for the prefix you want (project number, etc)

Voilla

The Sweg
2010-10-15, 11:20 AM
BIMTIM,
Thanks again for the reply and for the script! I'll give that a try. We certainly can keep using the 'Export to DWF' from the file menu if that's our only choice in Windows 7, but another thing I've noticed when using Export instead of 'Print' is that most of the time I screw up a print by forgetting to change something on the titleblock or whatever and have to go back into the drawing and fix it and republish. (happens more than I care to admit)! Anyways, if you already printed something, and go back to the Print dialog, all of your settings, including file name and save location are still there (in the same Revit session, that is) and you can just hit 'Print' and off you go. But, if you use Export, you have to go back through all of the settings and then, of course it doesn't overwrite your file you just created, so now you're deleting files etc., etc. No, it's not a huge deal, but every step I can save makes my life easier and having a DWF Writer that outputs a usable DWF in Windows 7 would be a good thing. I just wonder if anyone else is getting this same 'unreadable' file as I am.

thanks again!

v.kourepinis374734
2011-01-18, 07:35 AM
Hello there,
I am running into the same issue.
Revit Architecture 2010 on 64 bit OS.
Crippled is a great word for it.
Does anyone have any light to shine on this?

Thank you
Michael

oh, I have the same problem (http://www.tekbar.net/network-knowledge/he-weidong-beijing-talent-network-security.html), hope someone could give help.