PDA

View Full Version : Rotate a view in 7.0

aggockel50321
2004-11-04, 01:53 PM
I can't seem to rotate a cropped view or a callout as we could previously, by selecting the crop region & then the rotate command.

The crop region boundry rotates, but the model's view does not.

Is there a new way to rotate a view in 7.0??

beegee
2004-11-04, 10:12 PM
Just had a quick look, but I'm not seeing any difference here between 6.1 and 7.0 ??

ajayholland
2004-11-04, 11:39 PM
I also tried, and encountered at least one instance where the view failed to rotate. Other times it worked fine.

Have a look at the attached V7 file. Activate the smaller view, and watch the larger one dynamically update while rotating the callout. Angles less than 90 degrees are OK. When I hit the orthogonal axis, the view reverts to its original orientation.

~AJH

aggockel50321
2004-11-05, 01:00 PM
AJ,

I tried your test file, & got similar results.

The view seems to rotate properly on angles other than orthogonal (90, 180, 270). In the orthogonal instances the crop or callout box rotates, but the geometry does not.

I can, however, get a correct 90° rotation by rotating the view twice at 45°, so for now there is a workaround.

LRaiz
2004-11-05, 02:20 PM
7.0 behavior may be a bit confusing but I think it is the correct one. It deserves an explanation.

To illustrate open sheet in the attached file, activate callout view, select both view crop boundary and a wall and start playing with rotate command. Callout is deliberately made to look like a rectangle not a square, so the behavior is easier to understand. Observe in the overall (not callout) view that rotation is behaving correctly for any angle. However callout view itself orients itself either horizontally or vertically alternatively depending on rotation angle.

The underlying logic of this behavior is the following. A cropped callout of a plan view knows that it has to orient its vertical/horizontal axes parallel to sides of crop rectangle. However there is still a choice to be made which of the sides to chose as defining horizontal. In 7.0 this choice is made in such a way as to keep resulting view oriented as close as possible to the orientation of an uncropped view. In effect if angle of rotation is greater then 45 degree then horizontal and vertical are swapped. This logic makes it easier for the user to understand the overall orientation of a callout relative to a building. 7.0 made rotation itself a bit less understandable but assured that resulting view is easier to understand.

In 6.1 behavior was different and I think worse. Try similar experiments with 6.1 and you will notice that even though rotation itself is more predictable the resulting views may be more confusing. In 6.1 resulting view was especially confusing in case of large rotation angles. With 180 rotation in 6.1 one could get callout to be upside down relative to uncropped view. Even Ph.D. in geometry or architecture would have difficult time understanding resulting views.

BTW you may notice that changed/improved behavior applies not only to rotation but to mirroring of views as well.

HTH

aaronrumple
2004-11-05, 02:35 PM
So in summary...

Use rotate for angles not 90 degrees.
For 90 Degrees - use the "View Rotation on Sheet" in the view properties diaglog.

Yes?

LRaiz
2004-11-05, 02:56 PM
I don't see anything wrong in 7.0 regardless of rotation angle. Even though behavior of rotate command may be not intuitive the resulting view is always a good one. So in summary I think 7.0 rotation can be used for any angles.

Sorry if the preceding explanation goes into too much detail.

ajayholland
2004-11-05, 05:46 PM
Sorry if the preceding explanation goes into too much detail.

No apology is necessary. I'm sure everyone appreciates it when the underlying logic of the program's behavior is explained.

For 90 Degrees - use the "View Rotation on Sheet" in the view properties diaglog.

I'm still stumped on the 90 degree rotation. View Rotation on Sheet also rotates the View Title!

~AJH

Cathy Hadley
2004-11-08, 08:09 PM
does this mean that we need to create a new view title family for our rotated 90 degree views on sheets? I tried this way back and had a heck of a time getting it to work? Anyone have one?

CZH

aggockel50321
2004-11-09, 01:01 PM
I still prefer to rotate views within the view, & not on the sheet.

In 7.0 you can still get a 90° rotation if you select the crop boundry, rotate it 45°, select it again, rotate it again 45°.
Eliminates any view title problem...

Cathy Hadley
2004-11-09, 02:49 PM
Hum... I tried that and it just reverts back to the orginal orientation...

I too, prefer rotating in the view and not on the sheet... I found a way to trick it.. tho I'm sure this isn't a *good* way... since I'm not using project north v. true north... I just set true north to 90 degrees and *rotate* the view throuh VP.... setting the plan to project north most of the time... and true north if I want the view 90 degrees... at least for now works for me.

CZH

narlee
2004-12-07, 03:22 PM
This makes no sense. Forget the explanation of why. Just please tell me how to change the true north/project north settings. It ain't workin'.

Geof Narlee

aggockel50321
2004-12-07, 03:45 PM
Hum... I tried that and it just reverts back to the orginal orientation...

I too, prefer rotating in the view and not on the sheet... I found a way to trick it.. tho I'm sure this isn't a *good* way... since I'm not using project north v. true north... I just set true north to 90 degrees and *rotate* the view throuh VP.... setting the plan to project north most of the time... and true north if I want the view 90 degrees... at least for now works for me.
It seems, with the 2nd build, the rotate 45 degrees twice workaround, no longer works. (Unless I was wrong in the previous post)

IMHO, I liked the pre-7.0 view specific rotation that was available.

Now I find myself rotating sheets 90 degrees & placing text sideways on views, in order to get a view to fit on a sheet.

My neck is starting to get a crook in it from looking sideways...
and rolling the monitor on it's side just takes a lot of effort.;)

narlee
2004-12-07, 04:02 PM
Well, I've checked drawings started in 7.0 and they work ok. I've checked drawings started in 6.1 and upgraded and they work ok. But it seems that drawings started prior and upgraded don't work ok. I can change True North ok, but chasing my tail trying to get Project North to be 180 degrees off True North. Tried different combos - no luck...so will have to live with it for older drawings. It really only affects shadow studies for me, and if I needed to, I guess I could bass-ackwards the sun orientations to get them right!

Geof Narlee