PDA

View Full Version : 2010 losing its licence after a being idle

clay_hickling
2009-07-09, 10:34 AM
We are trying to move to 2010 but are having issues with the revit (all 3) losing their licence connection if left idle for a while, say over lunch. When you come back to the software it cannot regain the licence.

We normally have the timeout of the licence set on so we turned it off and that seems to solve the problem but we actually want timeout on.

Autodesk advised that wu1 may solve the problem but it hasn't.

Is anyone else having licence issues when they have the timeout feature of flexlm on?

Thanks

dgreen.49364
2009-07-09, 05:28 PM
Is this part of using a network license? If so, I know that if a network license is borrowed, it will return to the server after a period of time and Revit has to be restarted...I believe.

Steve_Stafford
2009-07-09, 05:36 PM
It remains a problem at this time. The web update did not address the problem.

BDR_Architect
2009-07-09, 08:12 PM
The web update did not resolve this issue but the FLEXnet Licensing Hotfix for 64-bit Windows does (that is if you're running a 64-bit machine).

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=13401936&linkID=9273944

Jshaver
2009-07-09, 08:22 PM
I have the same problem, however when this occurs I am able to select the "standalone" license option and save my work. Then close Revit and re-open, set license back to server, and start working again...

clay_hickling
2009-07-15, 10:34 AM
Currently we have turned timeout off on the licensing so we can look to rollout 2010 on 32 bit.
but....we would like timeout on, will wait for a response from autodesk...

in the meantime can i assume most people have timeout off on their licences and hence no one seems to be having the problems in 2010.

what are the advantages/disadvantages of timeout on or off on the licences?

pfaudler
2009-08-17, 09:51 AM
Can someone please tell me how to turn off license timeout.
We are having this problem with Revit 2009 network licenses.

Thansk in anticipation.

Steve_Stafford
2009-08-17, 06:43 PM
The timeout issue only started getting reported with the release of 2009. I don't recall any reports that is has been happening with 2009. Something else may be at hand. The license timeout feature is set via the license file the FlexLM software uses on your license server.

cblackford
2009-08-17, 10:13 PM
Sorry, just ran across this, but thought I'd reply in case anyone else is suffering.. I had posted something about this when we first went to 2010 here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=981413#post981413).

Long story short, there are only a few options. Either A: insist that Autodesk grant you additional licenses until they repair the bug, or
B: turn the timeout feature off or
C:instead of using the "TIMEOUTALL" feature, you can use the "TIMEOUT" feature in the adeskflex.opt file and set the timeout length per product and just set it really high for Revit 2010 or don't specify a timeout for 2010.

Also, for the record, this problem did not exist for us with Revit 2009.

The official word from Autodesk to us was that they were aware of the problem and planned to fix it with a web update.

Chuck

Michael Coviello
2009-09-24, 10:39 PM
.............B: turn the timeout feature off or .........

Question: How are you 'turning off' the feature? Does this apply to Macrovision LMTOOLS v11.4?

cblackford
2009-09-25, 06:57 PM
Question: How are you 'turning off' the feature? Does this apply to Macrovision LMTOOLS v11.4?

You have to remove the "timeout" line or "timeoutall" line from the options file or comment it out. The options is just a text file that lives in the same folder as the license file on your flexlm server. It is named: "ADSKFLEX.opt".

Of course the downside to this is you will run out of licenses if too many people just open the program and leave it sitting idle all day. But nothing you can't fix with public flogging of the offending individual. :)

But until the bug is fixed, It's pretty much the only option I think.

Chuck

Michael Coviello
2009-09-25, 07:04 PM
Thanks. I found out about this procedure and it's working for us so far. No complaints about people losing their license :lol:

On a related note: We are not seeing nearly as many fatal errors in Revit 2010. In some cases, when users were switching from the family editor to the project file or from view to view, a fatal error would occor. This didn't make sense to me until we tested it.
We've been testing this by enabling the timeout, testing,
then disabling the TIMEOUT; do a ReRead of the license file and test again
It is reproducable.