PDA

View Full Version : Curved Roof - Best Method?

pashley
2004-11-04, 02:56 PM
I need to create a barrel roof in which the top and bottom curves are different and non-concentric. The resulting roof will have one eave thicker than the other. I also may need to alter the length of the barrel and the height of the roof in the model. And I will have to run clerestory windows up to its underside along all four edges, both curved and straight.

What would be the best way to create such a roof? It doesn't appear that the Roof tool is of help here. Should I create a family? If so, what are the elements limitations compared to a "real" Revit roof?

Steve_Stafford
2004-11-04, 03:03 PM
I need to create a barrel roof See if THIS THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=7380&highlight=roof) helps? I posted a sample project that has two approaches. Either of which could apply.

pashley
2004-11-04, 04:19 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look. Do you think making the roof as a component family rather than an in-place family would offer advantages or disadvantages?

christo4robin
2004-11-04, 04:24 PM
Because you have a varying thickness throughout the curve, I think you'll have to do this as an in place roof family. I find with problems associated with complex and varied geometry, that modeling it as it will be built makes the most sense. Perhaps model a thin ceiling and exterior soffit to be the bottom of this assembly, maybe make a custom truss that is the structure, and then model the roof as thin sheathing and a membrane. Then do your fascias as in place families as well. Hope that helps.