PDA

View Full Version : 2010 modelling cables for a bridge out of plane

nmarble.223371
2009-07-09, 06:17 PM
We are using 2010 to model a calatrava type bridge that has a number of cables that are not in plane...

What is the best way to model this? I was thinking a sweep but I cannot figure out how to get the defining line of the sweep to move out of the reference plane it is being drawn in... basically it is moving from one side of the bridge to the other at an angle.

Model lines would work too, but we have a similar problem. Any way to get them to snap to a point that is off their reference plane?

azmz3
2009-07-09, 06:20 PM
I owuld think you would be able to draw a reference plane at the angle you need, and make a sweep using that reference plane. You should be able to get it to start and end where you need it. Reference Planes dont need to be a 90 degree angles, unless I am missing something

jeffh
2009-07-09, 06:55 PM
In 2010 revit you can draw line/reference lines at angles like this if you turn on 3d snapping. You could model what you need in a conceptual massing model.

Beams and braces also have the ability to do 3d snapping so you could make a structural member in the correct shape and place them with 3d snapping.

I have attached 2 images so you can get an idea of what I am talking about.

bulletproofdesign
2009-07-09, 09:32 PM
I owuld think you would be able to draw a reference plane at the angle you need, and make a sweep using that reference plane. You should be able to get it to start and end where you need it. Reference Planes dont need to be a 90 degree angles, unless I am missing something

Good advice. Draw a reference plane where you need these cables to go, and select the drawn reference plane as the workplane...

Peas

BethM
2009-08-13, 06:19 PM
I don't know if you ever solved this problem, but I'm working on a similar project, with similar out-of-plane problems. And its killing my soul. I eventually devised a way of using reference planes and a complex series of floorplans (one at each level a cable attaches to the "mast") to model the cables (which I created as a line-based family), but now I need to slide the cable connections up and down the length of the 'mast' and am finding it impossible. I'm going to have to redraw each cable again (and probably again, the next time the structural engineers change the connection point). And there are 30 cables. Let me know if you figure anything out, I could really use a brilliant trick right about now.

Wes Macaulay
2009-08-13, 06:33 PM
I wonder -- could you create a structural beam that's the shape and diameter of a cable? (like the Round HSS column family)... then you could use 3D snapping when placing them.

cliff collins
2009-08-13, 07:03 PM
Use the new Conceptual Massing tools.
Create reference lines and/or refernce points which are curved in the path you need for the cables,
then sweep a profile along the reference lines.

Then, if you need to adjust the cable diameter/profile, you can apply another sweep.

If the path changes, adjust the curved ref. lines and re-sweep.

That should do it?

cheers..........

AP23
2009-08-13, 10:51 PM
Using the massing tools is a reasonable workaround, but you'll lose the BIM factor. If that isn't a problem than I would suggets you to use any other 3d apps which generally have more modeling tools and saves you a ton of furstration and time. If you don't have any other option then the massing family is your best option. Make sure to create subcategories to have some visiblity control.

BethM
2009-08-14, 12:20 PM
I created a beam/brace family for the cables/clevis ends, and 3D snapping showed up as an option when I went to place them in the model, but I couldn't get them to 3D snap to anything. . . I double checked that my mast and structural tubes (the elements the cables are attaching to) were also structural elements, but still no go. Maybe I should have just modeled this in Revit Structural all along. . .

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-08-14, 03:26 PM
Whenever I've needed to model cables I create a generic model family that is a parametric blended void object. Once you have the void object you can use the pick option to select one of the edges of the void to define the path for your sweep. You can then set the parameters for height, length etc. and since the path is defined by the edge of the void the sweep will follow. (Thx Phil :beer:)