PDA

View Full Version : Exploding large imported objects

geubanks
2009-07-09, 08:49 PM
I've imported a CAD survey into my Revit model trying to generate accurate base topography. I'm running into a roadblock when I try to make the toposurface from the Import instance. I feel that the object must be exploded to do this, but it has over 58,000 objects in it and an error message appears when I try to explode it telling me it's too large. Anybody else have this problem and were you able to solve it?

I'm using Revit 2009 Architecture in Windows XP. Thanks.

dgreen.49364
2009-07-09, 08:59 PM
58,000 objects is a lot. have you tried cleaning up the cad file first? WBlocking out the file is the cleanest way to do it.

BTW, you don't need to explode the cad file to make a toposurface from it. You don't want to explode it.

bulletproofdesign
2009-07-09, 09:02 PM
Hey there,

I'm not sure of how to oficially deal with large files. Personally, I tend to open the file in AutoCAD (which I have little knowledge in) and copy and paste bits into a new file, then bring each piece into REVIT. All the topography I import has alot more surveyors information than I need and rather than using visibility graphics I find it easier to save only the pertinent layers in CAD.

If you are cutting up the file. Make sure you retain 1 datum point for realigning the pieces.

Peace

(edit) dgreen speaks the truth. Do no esplode..... I repeat... do not explode. If you need lines that you can't draw over the top.... open a new empty project, import the dwg/dxf and explode it there. then cut and paste the pieces you need... Imagine having over 50000 revit objects!!!.... noooooo! Go sit in the corner with your hands on your head, while revit tries to recover

andrewharle
2009-07-29, 12:32 PM
Anybody else have this problem and were you able to solve it?

Yes this is a big frustration!

The 'instances of more than 10,000 elements cannot be exploded' is no doubt an arbitrary limit set by Autodesk, rather than a limit of the software.

I have had building surveys and site plans that are too large to explode. I have just had to split a DWG into 4 separate files to import it.

Revit 2009 also can be quite slow when working with big exploded drawings. I am trying Revit 2010 out using the classic interface (as I gather that is more stable).

When working with existing buildings with DWG surveys of plans and elevations it can be really frustrating, and you do need to explode imports to edit them.

You also have to seriously consider when working with existing buildings whether you are better off sticking with AutoCAD.

Having used ArchiCAD before, which handles DWG import pretty well, I find Revit is really hard work when working with imported DWGs. It seems that Autodesk assume that everyone has AutoCAD and will continue to run it alongside Revit, rather than that Revit should be a one stop solution. Whereas with ArchiCAD, practices use it for BIM and 2D work, or a combination of these, and never have to touch AutoCAD.