PDA

View Full Version : Wrap at insert

sdalrymple
2009-07-14, 03:59 PM
What is the best method of applying the correct wrap at inserts.
I've searched for a while in this and other forums for a solution and found some info, but not what I'm looking for. What I need is shown in the autocad attached image.
I have tried the wall closure ref line in the window family, but what wraps is the finish and not the 'core' structure (1) wall, so I moved the structure(1) wall outside the core boundary and it worked fine, but internal walls now join to the new core!
Is there a way to achieve the correct result?

On a similar note, I design in timber frame and traditional where cavity closers differ, do I need to create several copies of the same window for different cavity closure options? shouldn't the closure be part of the wall and not the family?

As a new Revit user, at present I don't have a lot of faith in the software, these are simple things in AutoCAD, but seem to be a pain in Revit.

mmiles
2009-07-14, 05:23 PM
I think you will have do a few things to get the window to display like what you have in ACAD.

judging from you ACAD drawing it looks like the structure is not supposed to wrap anyway. by setting your air space to not wrap in the wall set up should take care of that layer...
check that your window family does not already include a ref plane set to closure which differs from any you may have added yourself.
add a parameter to control the distance of the ref plane (closure) from the exterior face of wall. Instance vs. type parameter is up to you - both have pros and cons in this situation.
The finish layer wrapping to a different location than the masonry will probably require you add voids or other geometry into your window family. In otherwords, the simple extruded opening in the family is not the right shape, and you will probably have to create a special cut, or alther the geometry embedded into the wall in order to get closer to what you want. This may take some experimenting. But consider the use of voids with a bit of moderation as they can make strange things happen, sometimes.
Consider the use of detail components nested in the family to show this plan detail, and set up the visibility for them to whichever detail level is desired (ie. show in fine, but not in course). This may not give the view you want in elevation though.hopefully this helps more than hurts...good luck