PDA

View Full Version : Need a stud wall - you can use curtain wall

JH75
2009-07-15, 12:40 AM
Hi,
This might be an old trick but thought I would share it anyway as it worked out pretty good :)
I had to show a steel stud wall on a recent project. Rather than drawing individual studs I ended up using a curtain wall with a blank panel but changed the mullions to suit my stud section.
I haven’t tried yet but I would presume you can use it for residential houses with timber framing.

Cheers,
J

m20roxxers
2009-07-15, 01:32 AM
Yeah I have used this as a method to show the studs. It works not too bad except you get wall errors as it is duplicating the walls. Also make sure you turn of analytical or you will get issues when using any packages.

However the metal wood framer http://www.strucsoftsolutions.com/mwf.asp can do this alot better, it has a huge amount of properties to set up but I imagine once this is all done you can just click on walls and it will build it up. It recognises doors and windows and builds framing around the area's to your setup.

The only issue it you have to build another wall ontop of the existing for Gable areas as it frames it up in a traingular formation rather then a designation for trussing to sit ontop though I have no seen if there are height controllable options.

JH75
2009-07-15, 02:31 AM
Yes you are right - using a curtain wall not be as exact as using an add-on like MWF. I used more to get my sections to look OK and it also makes the model look complete.
Thanks for the Tips.

J

Mr Greg
2009-10-26, 08:44 PM
That software looks pretty cool. I have a few questions: How do sections look? Do you get the sill and top plates? And how much does it cost?