PDA

View Full Version : revit version save

yanyan77
2009-07-16, 01:47 PM
could i save a revit 2009 file to therevit 2008 version, so my co-workers can open it under revit 2008?

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-16, 01:48 PM
Nope. Revit files are not capable of Saving down.

yanyan77
2009-07-16, 01:52 PM
Nope. Revit files are not capable of Saving down.

if my client does not have 2009, only have 2008.
it means he can not view my work in his computer at all.

BDR_Architect
2009-07-16, 02:05 PM

That is true. Either they must upgrade (they could probably use a demo version for a bit) or you can export to DWF and they can view the model through the DWF Viewer.

yanyan77
2009-07-16, 02:19 PM
[QUOTE=BDR_Architect;992449]That is true. Either they must upgrade (they could probably use a demo version for a bit) or you can export to DWF and they can view the model through the DWF Viewer.

but you can not edit in the dwf viewer

robert.fink
2009-07-16, 02:25 PM
That is true. Either they must upgrade (they could probably use a demo version for a bit) or you can export to DWF and they can view the model through the DWF Viewer.

Or they can download the current version of Revit from Autodesk's website. Without a license Revit can be installed and used as a viewer.

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-16, 02:51 PM

Yup, that is true. Working in Revit, you have to have everyone "on the same page" about what version the Model will be in, before you start.

Now, you have a few options which have been explained here:

1. Client can download a trial version (though i doubt youll find trials of 2009 since 2010 is out now). Theyll be able to edit and save for 30 days, then then cant save or export. Obviously, if they get the 30 day trial of 2010 and youre on 2009, they cant send work their work to you, unless you upgrade.

2. DWF. Not for editing, as youve fouind.

3. You can TRY an IFC export and reimport to 2009, but it loses a LOT of the *Revit Stuff* in the process.

patricks
2009-07-16, 02:58 PM
If this is for consultant use, then this is the kind of thing your team needs to decide before you start working on the project. When you bring the consultants on board, or if they are already on board when you start, you need to let them know what version of Revit you'll be working in and make sure they have that same version. Or you need to find out what they have and try to work with them.

If this is for a client to view, well then in my opinion they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be making changes anyway. But that's just me.

Revit cannot save down because there are simply too many differences between features and functions of tools and elements between each version that reverting to a previous version just is not feasible, program-wise.

yanyan77
2009-07-16, 03:19 PM
If this is for consultant use, then this is the kind of thing your team needs to decide before you start working on the project. When you bring the consultants on board, or if they are already on board when you start, you need to let them know what version of Revit you'll be working in and make sure they have that same version. Or you need to find out what they have and try to work with them.

If this is for a client to view, well then in my opinion they wouldn't (or shouldn't) be making changes anyway. But that's just me.

Revit cannot save down because there are simply too many differences between features and functions of tools and elements between each version that reverting to a previous version just is not feasible, program-wise.
i understand now, thanks.
but if they keep change a lot in each version, it is not easy for ppl to learn

patricks
2009-07-16, 08:04 PM
I started using Revit in 2004 on version 6.1. Since then we've upgraded to version 7, 7.1, 8, 8.1, 9, 9.1, 2008, and 2009. In all that time (9 versions) everything is pretty much the same other than added functionality here and there and a few new tools. Once you learn the program it's nothing to go through upgrades. 2010 is of course a different story with the entirely new user interface. That's taking longer to get used to, but once we do it'll be a piece of cake I'm sure.

Most of the time, after you become proficient with the program, the learning curve for new versions is almost nothing. I went from 2008 to 2009 with no issues whatsoever, and welcomed the new functionality like more options for dimension text, sloping site pads, etc.

jltraino
2009-10-05, 04:33 PM
I would just like to rebut the notion that

"Revit cannot save down because there are simply too many differences between features and functions of tools and elements between each version that reverting to a previous version just is not feasible, program-wise"

If it can convert from 2009 to 2010, it can convert from 2010 to 2009. Autodesk simply is strong arming everyone into that $725 annual subscription fee.

patricks
2009-10-05, 04:37 PM
I would just like to rebut the notion that

"Revit cannot save down because there are simply too many differences between features and functions of tools and elements between each version that reverting to a previous version just is not feasible, program-wise"

If it can convert from 2009 to 2010, it can convert from 2010 to 2009. Autodesk simply is strong arming everyone into that $725 annual subscription fee.

Well, you tell me, if you could save back to 2009, then what would Revit do with things like masses made with the new conceptual modeling tool, masses with a bunch of panelized faces and things like that? Or other things like the spot slope tool, etc. Would you want to deal with a ton of errors and deleted objects, annotations, etc. because those objects were not available in the previous version?

twiceroadsfool
2009-10-05, 04:40 PM
Furthering that... I think i would eat up 725 dollars worth of project fee trying to deal with that mess, ALA proxyelements and noncompatible AEC objects in ACA when a file gets saved down.

NO THANKS. I hope they never let us save down, LOL.

patricks
2009-10-05, 04:42 PM
Furthering that... I think i would eat up 725 dollars worth of project fee trying to deal with that mess, ALA proxyelements and noncompatible AEC objects in ACA when a file gets saved down.

NO THANKS. I hope they never let us save down, LOL.

lol hear hear! Good point! :mrgreen:

Scott Womack
2009-10-06, 10:05 AM
I would just like to rebut the notion that "Revit cannot save down because there are simply too many differences between features and functions of tools and elements between each version that reverting to a previous version just is not feasible, program-wise"

yanyan77,

As for the DWF, it cannot be edited, but it can be marked up, and those mark-ups brought back into Revit to see the marks and edit them. The client just needs to download Autodesk Design Review, (which I think is free) to mark-up the DWF files.

jltraino,

You appear to not know much about the history of Revit. For the 5 years as an independent company before Autodesk bought it, it could never save down a version either. Revit has NEVER had this capability.