PDA

View Full Version : Arrow Control

Jason Grant
2009-07-16, 03:54 PM
Please someone tell me there is actually a way to edit the thickness of the arrow head and not the entire line. A while back I was able to get the firm off of this need but now we are suppose to be the Architect of Record for a "famous" architect and you know how they can be. The arrows have to be this way or we have to use AutoCAD.

How hard would it be for Autodesk to make this simple change? They already have the heavy end thickness for the single line. Why can't they give that as an option on ticks and arrows? This is ridiculous...

New interface but we still can't get our drawings to look like what some architects demand.

Paul Monsef
2009-07-16, 04:10 PM
I would rather use a detail component then go back to autocad. eek. even the thought makes me angry.

greg.mcdowell
2009-07-16, 04:15 PM
Man... talk about the tail wagging the dog. Wow, just wow.

Jason Grant
2009-07-16, 05:00 PM
The arrows are just one part... most of the others I can deal with by making custom tags and other things for this one project.

I have run into this a lot and found others that have also. Some architects do not care about the benefits of Revit unless it can achieve their "Artistic" view of how a drawing should look. The inability to edit the system families hinders the acceptance of the program. While we have been implementing Revit on all projects, there is a lot of unhappiness over the way the drawings look. The people doing the drawings love Revit but the managers/designers don't. Luckily, they see it as a need for the future so move forward grudgingly. I look forward to the day that they can actually be happy with the output of a Revit drawing.

For this project though it will probably be a "tail that wags the dog" since the design architect takes immense pride in the finished drawings. So that is either workarounds in Revit or they will just use the Revit model for coordination purposes since the project has already completed DD in Autocad.

josh.made4worship
2009-07-16, 06:34 PM
I would rather use a detail component then go back to autocad. eek. even the thought makes me angry.

This is nice, but only problem is the arrow head doesn't adjust to scale changes. Maybe try nesting a Generic Annotation Family in there for the Arrow Heads, and it should change size with change in scale.

Just a thought...with this, it would be much more "Revit" usable in my opinion...

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-16, 06:59 PM
Honestly... If anyone in the office cares THAT MUCH about the arrow head at all... I would do that job in AutoCAD.

Ive known people who cared more about drawings than about the built project, and frankly... Revit is going to fall on deaf ears to them.

Besides, AutoCAD 2010 is nice. :)

Paul Monsef
2009-07-16, 07:39 PM
This is nice, but only problem is the arrow head doesn't adjust to scale changes. Maybe try nesting a Generic Annotation Family in there for the Arrow Heads, and it should change size with change in scale.

Just a thought...with this, it would be much more "Revit" usable in my opinion...
I had that thought once, but I mostly use the arrow on 1/4 scale drawings. So for this one job, I made myself use Autocad instead of updating the family. :o

It would be an easy fix. Even easier would be the allowance for custom arrowheads in Revit, like we had in autobad.

cliff collins
2009-07-16, 09:38 PM
I wonder how many really great new buildings have been completed or are now under construction, where Revit was used, even with its "******" arrowheads???!!!!!!!!!

I can name a few, and provide examples, if anyone cares..............

cheers................