PDA

View Full Version : Stairs n stuff.

Simon.Whitbread
2003-09-05, 01:35 AM
OK, here's what I want to do, and how I achieved the results...
Open Staircase, no risers, glass infill in handrail.
1. Created stairs with no risers, stringers...fine so far!
2. Central Stringers created with a wall whose profile matches stairs
3. Ditto for glass handrail

It would be great to do this using JUST the stair routine!

Or can you?

beegee
2003-09-05, 01:56 AM
You're basically on the right track.

The stair I quickly created beside yours was done without a wall for the central stringer. Just choose "middle" in the stair creation dialogue and set the width and the material. A little bit easier.
The glass was added as a curtain wall panel centered on the railing and trimmed to profile. For a rendering, this may need to be trimmed around each baluster vertical.

Scott D Davis
2003-09-05, 02:09 AM
Wouldn't it be nice if the Attach function for Walls applied to stairs? For instance, you could draw a wall under the stairs if you needed, and Attach it like you would a Wall to a Floor or Roof, and it would automatically take on the profile of your stairs.

Simon.Whitbread
2003-09-05, 02:27 AM
Cool. This forum is great. Most of the things I don't know are already here! And if Revit can't do something, the workarounds are pretty smart too!

TVM

PeterJ
2003-09-05, 05:13 AM
That handrail could easily enough be created as a railing family, so with beegee's central string and a stock handrail you could do it in the stair tool mostly. You would probably want to do the handrail as a single railing and then duplicate that a number of times to do the infill. I have described this before.......look over here... (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=460&highlight=railing)

Hope that's helpful

P

Vincent Valentijn
2003-09-05, 01:20 PM
Wouldn't it be nice if the Attach function for Walls applied to stairs? For instance, you could draw a wall under the stairs if you needed, and Attach it like you would a Wall to a Floor or Roof, and it would automatically take on the profile of your stairs.

You can use a work-around to get this. Simply draw a Ref. line along the underside of the stairs and attach the wall to this Reference. This even works for curved stairs [draw the Ref. as a straight line from the lowest to the highest point underneath your stairs]