PDA

View Full Version : How to calculate correct viewport scale

jgratton
2004-11-04, 11:25 PM
I am working in a place that has NO Plotters. Everything is printed on 11X17 paper, even though the client deliverable is a metric, nearly D size.

I want to set up a layout tab with a scalable, locked viewport. The actual border size is 726mm x 508mm. I would like the viewport area to appear as 1:30. How can I determine the viewport when I am forced to squeeze it down for plotting?

mjfarrell
2004-11-04, 11:31 PM
Jannet,

The size of the viewport has nothing to do with scale.
So a zoom 1/30xp will give you 1:30 irrespective if
the viewport is 1cm square or 1m square in size.

So set up a sheet border that works for that page size.
And then place a view port within it, and scale the view port
to 1:30xp and all will be right.

Truth is for this task; if they will ever be plotted at full sheet size
would be to install drivers for the plotter your service agency will use
and then set a page setup base on that plotter and page size and set your
margins and views based on that final output size.

Mike.Perry
2004-11-04, 11:35 PM
Hi

Within AutoCAD are you using Metric -

1 CAD Unit = 1mm
or
1 CAD Unit = 1m
or
Something completely different

Is the 1:30 scale to be correct on the 726mm x 508mm border (Plot scale 1:1) OR on the 11inc x 17inc (276.45 x 427.38) output?

Just for you info 1:30 scale is not a recognized Metric scale.

Have a good one, Mike

mjfarrell
2004-11-04, 11:40 PM
Just for you info 1:30 scale is not a recognized Metric scale.

How can this be? My metric scale has a 30 side on it?
Or are you suggesting that where you submit your plans
that they do not use that as a standard scale?

Mike.Perry
2004-11-04, 11:42 PM
So a zoom 1/30xp will give you 1:30 irrespective if
the viewport is 1cm square or 1m square in size.
Hi

Sorry that statement is simply not try in all cases.

If all CAD units are the same, Modelspace & Paperspace then yes 1/30XP is correct, otherwise a different XP Factor has to be worked out, refer to the following thread for an example -

ltscale restricted to viewport (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=6766)

Have a good one, Mike

mjfarrell
2004-11-04, 11:50 PM
OK Mr Perry, the mechanics of the statment are true.
The mathmetics of it would need be adjusted by the Metric user
based what value they were allowing 1 unit to represent.
Given that this is the Metric system it would be some multiple of 10.

Mike.Perry
2004-11-04, 11:52 PM
How can this be? My metric scale has a 30 side on it?
Or are you suggesting that where you submit your plans
that they do not use that as a standard scale?
Hi

Ok! I didn't realise your scale had 1:30 on it, therefore it must be correct....

I was brought_up_with/ taught Metric (UK uses the Metric system) and believe me 1:30 is not a recognized Metric scale, if you don't believe me go check the ISO Standards.

Have a good one, Mike

ps "Mr Perry" we've been down that road before.... (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=50995#post50995) Mike, Mick or Michael (as christened) is fine.

mjfarrell
2004-11-05, 12:03 AM
You know there are times that I can't tell if
you think you are a)enlightening me b) something else.

This 30 scale matter is probably like we have 30 scale on our
decimal feet scales as well, only we rarely ever use it.
That too could be due to some ISO standard. I don't know
nor really care if 30 is a permissible scale or not as that
has nothing to do with answering the users original question.

I hope you get well soon and get back to work on something productive.

Mike.Perry
2004-11-05, 12:15 AM
Hi

You know there are times that I can't tell if you think you are a)enlightening me b) something else.
I'm sorry you feel like that....

I don't know nor really care if 30 is a permissible scale or not as that has nothing to do with answering the users original question.
So why question me when I was making "janetgratton" aware of the fact, I only made the statement so "janetgratton" was made aware....

I hope you get well soon and get back to work on something productive.
If only I believed you really meant that, instead of trying to be funny and smart....

Have a good one, Mike

Mike.Perry
2004-11-05, 08:51 AM
Hi

Give the attached Excel File a look over, doesn't contain 1:30 scale but from the information within you should easily be able to work out the appropriate Floating Viewport Scale Factor (XP) for 1:30.

If the 1:30 scale is to be correct on the 11inc x 17inc (276.45 x 427.38) output, look at Plotting the original drawing at 1:2 (Half Size), will make things a lot easier -

page setup (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4773)

Have a good one, Mike

jgratton
2004-11-05, 02:37 PM
Wow, lots of help from two pros AND an entertaining floor show at the same time!!! This is just like the the old Augi group I remember so fondly....except without all the e-mail of course. Thanks for all the help, gentlemen, I shall put it to good use and visit as often as I can.

Cheers!

scott.wilcox
2004-11-05, 03:59 PM
Janet:

If you want to see how thiongs appear with a near D size layout, why not install drivers for a large format printer, set it to "print to file", and use the full size layout in AutoCAD?

As for zoom XP, I stopped using that command since the Viewport Toolbar works better. Simply type in the scale ratio that you want the zoom to represent while in an unlocked viewport. In my world paperspace units are 1mm and modelspace units are 1m, so a viewport scale of 1:2 is really 1:2000 in pure units. The real advantage is when you click on a viewport, the viewport toolbar shows you the viewport scale. If it's greyed out, you also know the viewport is locked; white means unlocked.

Scott

jaberwok
2004-11-05, 08:24 PM
Just to make a point - 1:30 is a non-preferred scale but that doesn't mean you can't use it or any other scale that does the job for you.