PDA

View Full Version : Windows making toturials

speedfreak5150
2009-07-23, 03:18 AM
Just wondering are there any toturials that teach your how to make windows and doors for revit 2009 architectural suite. Ive got imperial windows in my model at the moment but want to make fully adjustable metric ones to replace them as im only know the metric system. i want to make them with as much adjustablity as possiable frames,sills and openings etc.

iankids
2009-07-23, 05:24 AM
CadClips has a very good range of starter tutorials and some slightly more advanced stuff as well. Subscription site, but well worth the cost imho.

Regards

Ian

trombe
2009-07-23, 08:31 AM
Just wondering are there any toturials that teach your how to make windows and doors for revit 2009 architectural suite. Ive got imperial windows in my model at the moment but want to make fully adjustable metric ones to replace them as im only know the metric system. i want to make them with as much adjustablity as possiable frames,sills and openings etc.

Dude,
you need to go and find the Revit Families Guide which is a dedicated file and will give you more info than the Help does.

See also some of the blogs that don't just re-state all over again, the Help sections of Revit.
Revit Oped is a good example of useful material and if you bell me offline, I can suggest a number and range of worthwhile sites for good information or video clips (such as Design reForm).

You can also develop the habit of reverse engineer review by going to Revitcity and here where many very generous people are willing to post lots of great sample files for our collective edification (all thanks to those people). You can look at these closely to see how things can be or should be structured.
Note always, that reference planes and lines are (almost) always the approach, Planes or Lines ( as appropriate) first before geometry (as Help suggests) otherwise it is most likely to break fast. Flex flex flex during creation to check working. It seems an almost rite of passage, to have to go through the pain of learning the family editor because AD have not made the information in this are any where near sufficient.

The people here who are experts or near experts have all spent countless hours learning, experimenting and tweaking to create some remarkable families. The only way to speed this up is to get training if you can afford it. Video clips can help big time, but only up to a point.
Also look out for a slowly building database of your own on the idiosyncrasies of family templates.
Once again, Help and other articles on this area is extremely poor.
There is a large amount to learn on what each one can do ( and cannot do) and how you can use one template for unexpected uses...if you see some good oil, let us all know OK ?

cheers
trombe