PDA

View Full Version : Wall sweep around columns

barrie.sharp
2009-07-23, 12:43 PM
Architectural columns become part of a wall and the layers seem to wrap which is great. It would stand to reason that the wall sweep would used the column as if a part of the wall. This is usefull for cornice on alot of buildings that wraps around a column proud of the wall. Is there a magic setting somewhere or does the cornice need to be an independant sweep?

Paul Monsef
2009-07-23, 02:57 PM
It is the built out part a column or a wall? We will never know I suspect.

Two ways to handle this: draw walls for the pilaster which will allow you to use the WALL sweep tool or edit the column family and model the sweeps manually.

I suppose an inplace sweep family will work OK - if there was only one instance.

personally, after trying all three, I do the wall option in 90% of the cases.

greg.mcdowell
2009-07-23, 04:59 PM
Another option is to add an additional sweep to the wall, offset it the thickness of the column/pilaster and use grips to shrink it into place.

If you then return the corners back 90 degrees (or is it -90 for this) you can pull the sweep back to the wall instead of adding more sweeps. One caveat - this return doesn't get included in the length of the sweep... unfortunate as I use this a lot.

Couple of extra steps but more flexible than inplace families or builidng them into the column family.

barrie.sharp
2009-07-24, 11:19 AM
That's a shame. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I can see that each would be appropriate for different circumstances.

ganbaa_23335061
2013-11-21, 02:15 PM
i think solution is join command, please check the attached photo