PDA

View Full Version : Load a model without links

stu1037
2009-07-23, 01:44 PM
Is there a way to load a model, yet choose not to load the links (rvt and dwg)? One of my links is the complete building model from the architect. It takes 10-15 minutes to load. I have a new one that I need to associate. Do I really need to open the model, wait for the link to load, then reload the link from a new loacation?

This project is still in 2009, but it would be nice to know if this is possible in either 2090 or 2010. If I can't do it in this project, I'm sure I'll need to do it sometime.

Thank you,
Stu

btrusty
2009-07-23, 02:04 PM
move/rename the files so it cant find them?

or are you saying that even if the file is "missing" it still loads, but you need to re-direct it to a new file in a new location to update the linked file?

stu1037
2009-07-23, 03:28 PM
I'll try that, though I'd rather not move, delete, or rename the file.

No, I'm saying that... as I receive an updated background model from the architect, I need to open my revit model, open the manage links box, select the linked file and "Reload From..." a new location (the new file I've received). Then, after clicking OK, I have to wait for it to load. There's no way around this, and that's fine. But, before I can manage my links, I need to open my model, which loads the links automatically. This makes the simple act of opening a model take a long time.

I don't need to load a link if I'm just going change its local alias and re-load it.

does that make any sense?

Thank you,
Stu

ajayholland
2009-07-23, 04:06 PM
Stu,

As you are opening your model, watch the text information at the bottom of the screen. When the links begin to load, hit the escape key. This will interrupt the reload and bring up a warning dialog.

~AJH

greg.mcdowell
2009-07-23, 04:50 PM
You could also put these links on there own workset and open the file with that workset turned off. I don't think you have to open the workset to reload the linked file.

Putting Revit links on thier own workset is good practice so, by extension, putting AutoCAD links on a seperate workset would too.

stu1037
2009-07-23, 04:56 PM
Thank you all for the tips. The Cancel button worked great.

jeh.212740
2009-07-23, 05:19 PM
I would tend to try and utlize Gregs suggestion, as it will make it easier down the road and more user friendly.

patricks
2009-07-23, 05:33 PM
So now the big question is: what about not loading linked files when trying to insert a view from another file? It's pretty ridiculous to have to sit there and wait for a file and ALL the links to load when all you want to do is insert a drafting view from that file. :roll:

BIMTom
2009-07-23, 05:37 PM
I'd make sure that the links in the other model as loaded as Overlay, not Attached. That way when you link that model in, NONE of the links come with it.

It could mean loading those other links manually, but that could be a way around it.

patricks
2009-07-23, 05:55 PM
I'd make sure that the links in the other model as loaded as Overlay, not Attached. That way when you link that model in, NONE of the links come with it.

It could mean loading those other links manually, but that could be a way around it.

Overlay vs. Attached only control the NESTED links inside the models that are linked into my file. It does not control whether the actual linked files in my model are loaded or not.

It would be nice to have workset options available when loading a file for the purpose of copying drafting views or sheets.