PDA

View Full Version : Need to make a plan from an existing level

patricks
2004-11-05, 03:05 PM
I am currently modeling an existing gym for some future renovation work. It's a typical high-school-style gym with the basketball court, fixed elevated bleachers on each side (at 4'-6" above the court and higher) and then locker rooms underneath the bleachers (at 2'-10" below the court level).

I have created levels called Grade at 0, Court Level at 2'-10", and Bleacher Level at 7'-4". The problem is that the only plan views I have is the Grade Level and the Bleacher Level. The Grade plan view shows the court and the locker rooms, and the Bleacher Level plan view shows the court and the bleachers, both of which are fine.

My problem is that when I want to insert walls or door or windows on the court level, I have to be in the Grade level plan view (bleacher level plan view is cut up higher than the doors), and so Revit inserts these components on the Grade level by default. Now most of the time I can change them, which is really just an annoyance, but I have found that some things like Cased Openings do not give me a choice of what level to put it on before I place it, and after I place it, the level shown in the properties box is grayed out.

So if I place a cased opening, it wall go in on the Grade level at elevation 0, which puts the bottom of the opening down below the court floor by 2'-10". I guess I could just set the elevation of the opening to 2'-10", but I really don't want to do that. I want it on the Court level.

So is there any good way to take the Court level and make it a plan view, or maybe convert the Grade level floor plan to be referencing the court level instead of grade? Or if I actually make a new plan view and then delete the current Court level, what about the elements that I have already drawn that may be referenced to the current court level?

aggockel50321
2004-11-05, 04:00 PM
How did you create the level that has no plan view? If you copied an existing level datum in a elevation or section, you'll get no view.

Go to an elevation, delete your present court level, and draw in a new level using the level command. You'll then get a view associated to that level.

patricks
2004-11-05, 04:07 PM
Well at first I thought that I only wanted Grade and Bleacher level plan views, but now I see that I need a Court level plan view. I created the court level using the level tool, and the Make Plan View box was NOT checked.

If I delete the Court level, will it not delete all objects that are referenced to that level, like doors, or walls that have their bottoms or tops referenced to that level?

aggockel50321
2004-11-05, 04:17 PM
Well at first I thought that I only wanted Grade and Bleacher level plan views, but now I see that I need a Court level plan view. I created the court level using the level tool, and the Make Plan View box was NOT checked
Go to View/New/Floorplan, and select the level with no plan as the associated level.

patricks
2004-11-05, 05:13 PM
Awesome! that is EXACTLY what I was looking for!