PDA

View Full Version : door frame...

ntnik
2009-07-27, 08:54 PM
i am using some drawings and doing some as builts for an old building....i've never worried/thought about this before....in my existing building i have a 3-0x7-0 door....the door in plan does not show a frame so my masonry opening in 3-0 wide...i need it 3'-4" wide to be consistent with my as builts but, i don't want to increase my door width to make the correct size masonry opening.....i guess i need to edit my family??

patricks
2009-07-27, 09:10 PM
I made door families several years ago with a "butt-frame" hollow metal frame for use in masonry walls. It makes the opening 4" wider and 2" or 4" taller than the actual door panel.

Our office has been using these butt-frame door families almost exclusively for the past 3-4 years now. Only just last week did I create doors with wrap-around hollow metal frames. This makes the door opening 1" wider and taller than needed, and the 2" frame face wraps around the opening on each side. These will be used in interior stud walls, while the butt-frame families will continue to be used for exterior doors or any door in masonry walls.

ntnik
2009-07-27, 10:50 PM
works like a charm, where do i send the check?