PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Revit units

ni8rider
2009-07-28, 07:44 AM
Hi guys I'm a new member of this forum and I have recently bought revit because I will be studying and working in the field or architecture. I have followed a few tutorials that I found on the internet that helped me learn the interface of revit. I'm having one problem that I can't figure out. Before I start a project I go to project settings and I change everything to cm because in Australia we don't deal with feet and inches. When I draw my walls everything works fine and to my exact measurements but when I come to add my doors and windows the size of the doors and windows is really small compared to the wall it self. I have attached an image to show you what I mean. As you can see in my attachment the wall is 1820cm long so that's equivalent to 1.82m, but the window the I added and circled in my attachment is much smaller than the wall it self. How can I fix this problem so that my window is the right scale with the wall.

thankyou.

barrie.sharp
2009-07-28, 08:07 AM
Firstly, welcome to Revit & AUGI. I've only been a user for 8 months and this is the place to learn fast! I love learning Revit but I couldn't cope without this forum.

I'm not sure if there is a confusion between cm & mm. If you have set the units to cm then that wall is 18.2m in which case the window looks proportional. In the UK we work in mm and would describe 1.82m as 1820 as you have. Perhaps you should set the project to millimeters.

patricks
2009-07-28, 05:08 PM
It could also just be a small size window. Maybe it's only 18" wide which is only about 45 cm or so (450 mm). If that wall is 1850 cm and the window is only 45 cm then that looks correct.

black beauty
2009-07-29, 05:03 AM
Hi guys I'm a new member of this forum and I have recently bought revit because I will be studying and working in the field or architecture. I have followed a few tutorials that I found on the internet that helped me learn the interface of revit. I'm having one problem that I can't figure out. Before I start a project I go to project settings and I change everything to cm because in Australia we don't deal with feet and inches. When I draw my walls everything works fine and to my exact measurements but when I come to add my doors and windows the size of the doors and windows is really small compared to the wall it self. I have attached an image to show you what I mean. As you can see in my attachment the wall is 1820cm long so that's equivalent to 1.82m, but the window the I added and circled in my attachment is much smaller than the wall it self. How can I fix this problem so that my window is the right scale with the wall.

thankyou.
Highlighted the window you placed, then edit by element property by first duplicating and then to the size you require. Make sure your window sizes you placed are also in mm.

black beauty
2009-07-29, 05:17 AM
Highlighted the window, then edit to the size you require by element properties.. Make sure the sizes window you selected are already in mm. good luck

could some please show or explain :
• after changing setting UN to mm how come the sketches of walls dimensions are appearing in inches.
• How can I change them to mm
Thank you

ni8rider
2009-07-29, 09:02 AM
Thank you all for your replies, at work the revit I use has somehow already been adjusted and every window I draw is the right scale against the wall that i draw regardless of its length. I guess I will have to just make new windows my self by going to the element properties and changing the size from there.

Thank you all for your contribution and I would just like to ask you guys if there are any video tutorials that are about revit that are free that I could use.