PDA

View Full Version : Site steps that blend into sloping topography?

patricks
2009-07-28, 01:08 PM
I recently completed a project where I had a large concrete platform outside a building with concrete steps along the whole length of the platform down to grade. My problem was the grade sloped with about 12"-18" of rise along the length of those steps from one end to the other.

Now I'm sure many of us have seen a condition like this in downtown urban areas where a sidewalk slopes, there are steps going up to a building, and some of the risers/treads will blend into the slope of the sidewalk.

Is there any way to accomplish this now with out current stair tools? I tried pulling some of my lower risers back in the stair sketch and then putting a boundary line from the end of one riser line to the middle of the next higher riser (perpendicular to the riser line) and it gave that same old error about having a continuous boundary sketch or some such nonsense.

I ended up just having to use linework to make part of the lower riser lines invisible (where they went below grade) and then detail lines to connect the ends of the riser lines. I had to do it in several views so of course that was not ideal. Luckily it was right at the end of the project so it didn't change at all.

Anyone have any other ideas?

chris.needham
2009-08-01, 09:54 AM
Is this what you're meaning?