PDA

View Full Version : never done it like this and i'm easily confused....

ntnik
2009-07-30, 01:07 AM
i started a job....an existing building with different plan views (ie, demo, new)....the jobs not complete....i have just gotten a spectacular template, an .rte with all of the sheets and schedules set up....how do i merge the two?....can i copy and paste what i have done so far into the template?......can i load the template into the rvt file??

iankids
2009-07-30, 01:15 AM
Hi Ntik,

Have you tried Transfer project standards?

Have both the template and the project open and transfer from the template to the project.

Cheers,

Ian

Dimitri Harvalias
2009-07-30, 01:19 AM
Check out the 'Transfer Project Standards' command. System families will transfer (check the list when you invoke the command). Unfortunately schedules will not. You will need to copy/paste those into the project from the template.
Depending on how far along your project is it may be easier to copy the model from the existing file to to a new project created from the template.

ntnik
2009-07-30, 01:46 AM
i think that will be the way to go.....thanks guys

ntnik
2009-07-30, 11:09 AM
getting hung up here....have walked through the directions from the help and it mayjust be an interface issue w/2010....can't seem to get to "element"

From Help:

<<To copy elements:

Select one or more elements in the drawing area.
Click Modify <Element> tabClipboard panelCopy. >>

i have selected model in 3-d and can't seem to ...i can see clipboard (under modify) and elemant i.d (dont know what that is)......

anybody gotten stuck here try to copy to clipboard to get model into template

Andre Carvalho
2009-07-30, 12:24 PM
If what you've decided to do is to copy the model to the new file, you can rather do his:
Link your model into the new file, select the link and use the option Bind to bring it. This will bring levels, etc. Once there, your model becomes a group that can be ungrouped. Better than copying and pasting model elements between files.

Andre Carvalho

ntnik
2009-07-30, 12:26 PM
ok, i will try and link to see if it works.....still havent mastered copy to clipboard though....and the model so far is just a few walls and windows

patricks
2009-07-30, 12:45 PM
Copy and Paste is just Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V for every Windows program in existence I think. I don't think I've used menu commands for copy/paste in 10 years or more.

If you want to Paste Aligned, that's under Modify towards the left end of the ribbon.

Andre Carvalho
2009-07-30, 01:09 PM
The reason why I prefer the Bind option instead of copying and pasting is because binding will bring the 3D model and levels, grids, etc. Levels and grids are not selectable in a 3D view, so if you try to copy elements from a 3D view, these won't be selected...

Andre Carvalho

ntnik
2009-07-30, 01:16 PM
thanks for the further explanation

ntnik
2009-07-30, 02:54 PM
i will explore linking as well but i did cut and paste it (revit model) into the template.....and can only save as a template.....is that ok?

Andre Carvalho
2009-07-30, 03:31 PM
i will explore linking as well but i did cut and paste it (revit model) into the template.....and can only save as a template.....is that ok?

No. Don't paste into a template file. Instead, create a blank file from the template and then paste it into the newly created RVT file.

Andre Carvalho

ntnik
2009-07-30, 05:12 PM
ok, have tried twice....i opened both a blank new project file the template file....i imported project standards from template to the blank project (i was warned that several items existed in target file and i opted to override).....anyway the load of the project standards doesn't seem to have happened.... everything in the project browser is the same as it was before...am i understanding previous post correctly????

patricks
2009-07-30, 05:20 PM
Are you creating a new file from that template your received? If so, you'll still have to copy/paste or link/bind your other file containing the building model. I think link/bind will be the best choice so that you bring in things like rooms, reference planes, levels, etc.

ntnik
2009-07-30, 05:59 PM
the model was barely started so i didn't link...opted to copy paste...i hav a rvt file with my template stuff: sheets, views etc.....but as mentioned before i dont have my schedules and there are several....so i have to get them over...to my new file

ntnik
2009-07-30, 06:01 PM
No. Don't paste into a template file. Instead, create a blank file from the template and then paste it into the newly created RVT file.

Andre Carvalho

how do i create the blank??....i'm turning this into a cluster.....thanks for the help though

Andre Carvalho
2009-07-30, 06:04 PM
how do i create the blank??....i'm turning this into a cluster.....thanks for the help though

Go File (or the big R if 2010) > New > Project > Select to use the template file you have. It will create a new blank RVT file based on your template.

After that, just link your file and bind it.

Andre Carvalho

chris.needham
2009-08-01, 06:07 AM
Check out the 'Transfer Project Standards' command. System families will transfer (check the list when you invoke the command). Unfortunately schedules will not. You will need to copy/paste those into the project from the template.
Depending on how far along your project is it may be easier to copy the model from the existing file to to a new project created from the template.

For the schedules, you can use "File" "Insert from file" "Views."