PDA

View Full Version : Gable end with little hip?

barrie.sharp
2009-07-30, 03:05 PM
Please see attached photo. I have split the line and tried defining the middle segment as slope but it slopes the whole lot. Any ideas?

barrie.sharp
2009-07-30, 03:34 PM
OK, figured it out. I was on the right track. I needed to use a slope arrow to define the angle and offset the tail. I'm getting the hang it... I promise!

jsteinhauer
2009-07-30, 03:40 PM
Please see attached photo. I have split the line and tried defining the middle segment as slope but it slopes the whole lot. Any ideas?

I would probably create the roof as a mass then convert it into a roof. I tried to CADD Monkey with it using the roof tool and I'm having the same issue as you. I'll let you know if I have a brain storm, and come up with something.

Jeff S.

jsteinhauer
2009-07-30, 03:45 PM
OK, figured it out. I was on the right track. I needed to use a slope arrow to define the angle and offset the tail. I'm getting the hang it... I promise!

Yeah, I just had a brainstorm that worked

Create a notch in your gable roof where you want the hip to be. Then create another roof in the notch. In elevation move the hip into the correct position, and join the two together. See attached images for reference.

Hope this helps you,

Jeff S.

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-30, 03:55 PM
You can do it all as one roof, with one sketch.

Split the Sketch line that is on that side. On JUST THE CENTER check the box for "Defines Slope". Then in the properties of that line, raise the base to the appropriate height.

jsteinhauer
2009-07-30, 03:57 PM
You can do it all as one roof, with one sketch.

Split the Sketch line that is on that side. On JUST THE CENTER check the box for "Defines Slope". Then in the properties of that line, raise the base to the appropriate height.

Will the sloped line auto-adjust to the right length if you want to raise or lower that hip?

twiceroadsfool
2009-07-30, 04:07 PM
If you raise or lower the Line and dont change the length, it will adjust the angle of the flares, to hold your line length, i believe.

So you can adjust it in all variations. Make it wider, Make it taller, make it steeper, etc.

EDIT: I am incorrect. It does exactly what you expected.

If you break the line in to thirds, but then only give the center a slope, and DONT raise it off the Roof base, the entire side slopes. So YES, it DOES adjust the line width automatically...

My mistake. :)

jsteinhauer
2009-07-30, 04:37 PM
If you raise or lower the Line and dont change the length, it will adjust the angle of the flares, to hold your line length, i believe.

So you can adjust it in all variations. Make it wider, Make it taller, make it steeper, etc.

EDIT: I am incorrect. It does exactly what you expected.

If you break the line in to thirds, but then only give the center a slope, and DONT raise it off the Roof base, the entire side slopes. So YES, it DOES adjust the line width automatically...

My mistake. :)

Crazy cool!!!

patricks
2009-07-30, 05:24 PM
You don't even have to split the gable end lines.

I just tried it. Start roof sketch, draw rectangle, make all lines slope-defining. Take two end lines (shorter lines) and raise their offset setting in the properties for those sketch lines. Finish roof, bam! Roof just like Barrie wanted.